Smaller Pottery Elephant Planter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Flashback, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

I'm thinking the colors and/or flat base of this little planter should provide some clues as to its maker, but I'm clueless as to what those might be so seek the collective wisdom here. It stands 4" high to the top of the ear.
    TIA for pointing me in the right direction!

615AC9A1-0280-4211-8D94-7BFDC2D6D262.jpeg C6918205-D2ED-4DD5-9AA5-77548CAADA5E.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Looks like this one

upload_2021-11-21_19-47-4.png

Flashback and bercrystal like this.
  3. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

@Joe in PA, yes it does. I think I have a book on Shawnee pottery. I'll see if I can find it there. Thanks!

bercrystal likes this.
  4. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

@Joe in PA, well, I went through my books on Shawnee (turns out I had two!) but didn't see it there. So I then found a pottery group and asked there. It's apparently not Shawnee. :(

judy likes this.
  5. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

Coming back here with a postscript to the extent it might help someone else down the road when trying to ID and/or confirm an ID to Shawnee. Apparently Shawnee bases are 99.9% glazed with a (sometimes faint) USA imprinted.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. Joe in PA

Will search again tomorrow and see if another hit comes up. Always tricky to id based on sales listings but sometimes they can be a good lead

judy likes this.
  7. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

@Joe in PA, I agree; I typically only use someone else's attribution as a possible starting point for confirmation. Someone in a FB group has ID'd it as Royal Copley.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Just for the record it doesn't appear in Schneider's Royal Copley book and it doesn't really look like Royal Copley to me. Could just as easily be Fredericksburg or Cameron Clay. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd spend too much more time on it. Either way it's not going to bring that much on resale.

Flashback likes this.
  9. Joe in PA

Flashback likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are a couple pictured on the Fredericksburg Art Pottery page on fb, but no details.

Flashback and dgbjwc like this.
  11. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

@dgbjwc, thanks for checking your Royal Copley book. I hear ya about not spending too much time, but also like to do what I can even if it's for future education. The others are names I don't see with any frequency, so didn't even have those on my radar. Thanks, @janetpjohn for pointing me to the FAPCO pottery group; I found the post. Both comments seem to confirm that's the right name for this one. So.... I'm thinking mystery solved! Thanks, all.

cxgirl, dgbjwc and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted