Small vase with mosaic look over etched lines technique origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Of course since I am here I don't know exactly how to describe this vase. It has what looks like mosaic patterns over vertical inscised? lines. I'm not certain how the small fragments were applied. I think they were painted on because I can faintly see the lines underneath them. The metallic finish on the top and bottom are interesting too. Of course I get nowhere with the signature. It stands around 4 1/4" tall and is around 3 1/4" in diamter. I get a Japanese feel but that is uneducated. I would really appreciate any ideas on this piece.

vase6.JPG vase3.JPG vase.JPG vase5.JPG vase4.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    judy, wlwhittier and jeasta like this.
  2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

They don't look applied, they look incised right into the clay and then painted. I am not a pottery person, but this looks like fairly contemporary artisan pottery. Maybe someone with more smarts will add their opinions.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

I’m probably using the wrong terminology to begin with but I understand what you are saying. It’s been on a living room shelf for a few years and I liked it but never took a close look until recently. Now it has me intrigued.

Draft saved Draft deleted