Small Primitive Style painting hard name

Discussion in 'Art' started by AntiqueBytes, Feb 22, 2024.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I didn't buy this but I'm thinking of going back to pick it up. It looks better in the photo than in real life.

Google is now assuming things that are more complex and more unique are other things.

So, "Van Dyk" or "Van Dyil" is of course Van Dyke or Van Eyck. I am now not given the options to search on my original spellings. Searching in quotes helps a little.

van eyik 1.jpg van eyik 2.jpg

No, this thread is not a joke!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  2. Virginia

Virginia New Member

I don't know why, but the style seems familiar. It reminds me of something but I'm not sure what. I'd go back for it.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Van Dyic?

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Van Dyk.......looks right to me....the 'k' is pretty "loose"....have you tried doing an 'image search'??

Bakersgma and AntiqueBytes like this.
  5. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Van Dyck

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Would have snatched that right up myself. Fauvist-y.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I read Van Dyck or Van Dyk. It is a very common name in the Low Countries, it means that someone's ancestor lived on or by a dyke. Plenty of those in the Low Countries.
    The subject looks more American, and Van with a capital V is also American, although it is done by some families overhere as well.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    AntiqueBytes likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

@AntiqueBytes, And I'm half wondering if where the red arrow is pointing, isn't possibly an 'm' or an 'n'.......even blown up wondering!!! Or is it just meant to be a highlight??

EnhancedVan Dyk SIG-topaz-denoise-2x-sharpen.jpg

AntiqueBytes and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. AntiqueBytes

I'm not sure what red arrow you're talking about -- all I see are the grass blades and the signature and then the wheel of the toy the boy is pushing.

In real life it is growing on me with the painting being present. The paint is thick in many areas which makes it really feel like a handcrafted work.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The red arrow in the detail Aquitaine posted, she added it to point to the part in question.

Bakersgma and AntiqueBytes like this.
  11. AntiqueBytes

Oh, sorry I was looking at it on my phone.

I noticed the artist used a lot of types of shading and highlighting on different objects.

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

13. AntiqueBytes

That K is as hard as reading a K on some jewelry.

14. AntiqueBytes

Yes, it's a fascinating search also. I can see why people might like to collect modern primitives that still show some painterly skill.

I haven't look enough to see if I can find the artist. I believe one might find more by doing image searches on images that also come up.

Draft saved Draft deleted