Featured Small porcelain cup with secret.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dr.H., Jan 23, 2024.

1. Dr.H.

Dr.H. New Member

Good day everyone. There is such an unusual item in my collection, I coudn't identify it, literally zero information. I can't find another cup like this.
    For truth, I didn't know for many years that there was a picture there.. It's hard to see it because the glass is all scratched.
    Height 3.2cm, diameter 5.2cm.
    Would appreciate any suggestions
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

3. Dr.H.

Dr.H. New Member

Thanks a lot!! Design might be Russian, woman with kokoshnik and jewelry. The firebird is also like a reference to Russian mythology. Just thought.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2024-1-23_16-0-47.jpeg

Is that writing in the red swoosh?

5. Dr.H.

Dr.H. New Member

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Is that called, or similar to, a Stanhope?

7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

You have to put liquid in them to properly see the hidden image. I have a set.
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2648.jpeg

Rclinftl, Dr.H., komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SHE was HARD to 'pull out'!!!! But unable to make her any 'sharper'.....

IMG_20240123_230622.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. Dr.H.

Dr.H. New Member

It's about microphotography, but this is something about the effect of refraction of light.. But close, I think :bookworm:
    Because of background and blurriness of the picture, I assume that it is drawn.

This is impossible even to the human eye:)

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@bluumz called it correctly, Sake cups. And @Aquitaine brought out the picture which is obviously a geisha with one of those elaborate headdresses. I don't think the black marks on the swoop is writing or a signature, just marks on the swoop-part of the decoration.

11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted