Small painted vase - I have no idea

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Can anyone help with country of origin, etc? This is about 6" tall.

DSCN1256.JPG

DSCN1260.JPG

DSCN1258.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Well actually I have an idea - that it's an antique generic hand painted French bisque vase, but I'm just pulling that out of my ?@#$ because I really don't know what I'm talking about. :eek::rolleyes::oops:

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a small vase and a creamer that I think are from the same maker. I've never known who that is, though. :(

In your photo of the bottom, there's a chance that the dark mark at 11:00 may be a maker's mark or signature because my vase has a similar mark near the edge of the base. Unless it's just discolored from the manufacturing process?

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I've always thought these were German, Bavarian, Austrian in origin
    Early 1900s- definitely pre WWI
    Don't have any reason other than gut feeling.

5. Bookahtoo

Pat - I think it's dirt - I'll check with a loupe tomorrow.

6. Bookahtoo

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Mill Cove Treasures and Pat P like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Oh, I wasn't even looking at the price moreotherstuff, I was reacting to it being Austrian like cluttered thought. No doubt it's a ridiculous price.

9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

In the pictures, that glaze looks almost like lava glaze. Is that texture on the pottery, under the glaze or is it really as thick as it looks?

10. Bookahtoo

The texture is the pottery.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'll be curious to know what you see. The coloring of the dark area looks similar on both of our vases, and different from other colors on the bottom.

I'm pretty sure our pieces are probably the same maker... mine has the same delicate, rust-colored flowers on the back.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree that the price on eBay is not exactly realistic. :rolleyes:

13. Bookahtoo

Pat - it DSCN1284.JPG mostly dirt, but there does seem to be one more indented number or letter in that spot - it looks like an r to me. There also looks like there is a small 2 above the 0.

Pat P likes this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have a little collection of similar vases and those that are marked are Austrian. I pick them up because they're pretty and cheap. I don't pay more than $10. That ebay listing is - well I don't quite have the words for it. :angelic:
    Don

Pat P likes this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Book, I looked at the bottom of mine with a stronger loupe, and still can't make out anything in the darkened area.

I did find the same vase as mine on Etsy. The seller also thought it's Austrian. She said she has other similar pieces that have an Austrian mark.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/223012727/antique-porcelain-austrian-hand-painted?ref=market

Here's the same pattern blackberry pattern on an eBay piece, but the seller didn't know the origin.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-bis...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

My creamer has a lilac design. I haven't been able to locate a similar one on Google.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Don, I'm curious if the ones with an Austrian mark have the delicate rust flower pattern on the back?

17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Pat - oddly enough no. I have four vases and pitchers with the rust flowers pattern on the back. Three have unmarked white bisque bottoms and the other has a bottom like Bookahtoo's with numbers.
    Don

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Interesting. So maybe the ones with the rust flowers were from a different maker?

My vase has numbers on the bottom, but my creamer doesn't. They both have the rust flowers and the same background colors.

dgbjwc likes this.
  19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm... in my googling for similar pieces, it seems like the ones marked "Austria" are generally a little more ornate, with more gilt decoration remaining. Could it be the marked ones are somewhat newer? Or better made?

20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Or perhaps a budget line? Saved a few pennies by using smaller, simpler molds, one color on the back, and less gilt? My guess is they would be later rather than earlier.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted