Featured Small oil lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, May 14, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

After looking at the glass oil lamp, I was motivated to go up in the attic and find this lamp. It's 5" tall with the wick holder. This one is tin. It was painted blue, then yellow, then red, then cream at different stages in its life. My mother said they each had these small lamps that they'd light from the big one at night so they could see their way up the stairs to bed. I don't think we ever had the chimney to this one. It was so ugly I was never tempted to try and sell it and now I'm glad.

IMG_7501 (576x800).jpg IMG_7502 (600x800).jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Are you going to strip off all the old paint?

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm afraid they're all bonded together. Which color should I go to? If it was repainted because of scratches, then it would be worse.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

OOOH! Poor thing - looks like the paint is holding it together!:sorry:

Wanttoknow likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Bev, this miniature lamp is pictured in Frank & Ruth Smith's Miniature Lamps, p. 69, Fig. 94. It is described as:

"Fig. 94. Tin painted green: gold gilt on inside of shade; Acorn burner; 6 inches high. Found also painted pink, blue and yellow, and in brass. This lamp was purchased about 1925, but was still advertised as late as 1951. Authors' Collection."

With the book mentioning blue, I suspect that was the original color of yours? The one pictured has a shade. The shade has 3 tabs/prongs at the top opening that rest on the chimney. I have a very very similar lamp but in copper. The shade on my lamp is identical with the 3 tabs. I don't know where they were made. Googling copper miniature lamps brings up several images of the copper ones. Some of the copper ones have the 3 tab shades and others don't.

Marjorie Hulsebus' Price Guide for Miniature Lamps copyright 2006 gives average prices for the lamps in both of Smiths' books and Hulsebus's book Miniature Victorian Lamps. The "Price Guide for Miniature Lamps" of the Smiths' 1st book, p. 17, #94, says "Age questionable," no average price given, and the rarity is "C" (Common).

Following is a pic of the one in the book and pic of mine.

--- Susan

LampTin.jpg

LampCopper-combo.jpg

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  6. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Yes..... and it is "bleeding".... :hurting:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I love it in copper! I like mine because of the family history. Wish I had the rest. Now I've got to search for a chimney and a shade!

komokwa likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

My family had a history of painting things. My mother and aunt went through a phase in the late 60s where they spray painted everything copper. Literally everything from Christmas wreaths to glassware to china.

Wanttoknow and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted