Featured small odd pottery bowl - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SBSVC, Mar 6, 2018.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of pottery. This bowl was given to me in the 1980's by a friend of my husband's. (I won't speak ill of the dead, but the guy was a rather odd dude...)

This bowl is 5 1/4" across and 2 1/4" tall.

I find the combination of the orangey-brown surface color and "combed" texture, the glossy olive-colored interior, and the weird 4-footed base just enough to make it interesting. I know it was purchased in Texas, but I haven't a clue if it is studio pottery or something more commercial. Does anyone have any ideas?

img0 (11).jpg
    img0 (9).jpg
    img0 (13).jpg

img0 (12).jpg

Thanks for any input!

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dabble in pottery and I get a Japanese vibe off this. Its a fantastic shape.

antidiem, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The pieces I had that were most similar in surface treatment were from an English ceramicist named Ray Marshall.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Johnny & MOS - I appreciate your ideas! I'm going to have to see if I can find anything else like it.

judy likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

irrelevant post edited

Draft saved Draft deleted