Small metal excavated hook on square object...anyone know it? For building?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 13, 2022.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

A friend working as a volunteer on an archaeological site says they keep finding these on a dig and don't know what they are. I asked him for a photo and they're happy for any info on what it is.

This is from an actual archaeological dig at an 18th historic estate in Virginia. The area they are finding them is very disturbed and has lots of architectural debris such as plaster, mortar and bricks. They are guessing these are late 19th to early 20th C. I swear I should know. They forgot to supply exact size measurements so the guestimate was a bit over 1/2" on a side.

upload_2022-1-13_17-10-3.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest lashing hooks until I saw the size, 1/2”? That’s tiny unless I’ve misunderstood?

Bronwen likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

Even though he had the weight etc for the size he said "I should have juxtaposed a ruler in the photo but didn’t think of it. Each of the square sides is probably a little over 1/2 inch." I'm going to ask to verify.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

A coat hook? Just a guess. Probably wrong as that is tiny in size.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

It's so small - I was thinking some kind of push through drywall anchor/hook............

[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

I don't see any evidence of holes for mounting so not sure if coat/cup hook would work. No idea.

Rayo is that a wire fed through a hole in drywall? The hook side looks similar.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Just got verification on the size, yes he says its just over 1/2" on a side.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking you push the "Hook" through the drywall and the little square "backplate" holds it on the back of the sheet from pulling through. Like maybe just for hanging some lightweight pictures? - other than that I got nothing........

Bronwen and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe to fit in some kind of slat wall system?

[​IMG]

10. say_it_slowly

Rayo and Brad, both could be, I have no idea and seem to come up empty when searching. There are a few archaeologists asking around so maybe someone will instantly know.

I wondered about something set in a wall or even if it could be related to roof tiles like little snow guard hooks or something. They seem rather utilitarian. Whew, love a mystery but also love a solution!

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

This morning I got an email with a "maybe" identification. Not knowing myself what sort of hooks might have held slate tiles in place and googling modern ones, I have questions, however, perhaps they are actually a form of slate tile hook.

I did ask if the back of the square had any sign of a broken shank but apparently they are very smooth with no indication of something broken off.

Apparently the mansion had a slate tile roof at one time that was removed so who knows shrug emoji smal purple.jpg ?

This came with the email.
    https://www.nachi.org/slate-roofs-part6-125.htm

upload_2022-1-15_11-21-2.png

This is what I'm finding for modern slate hooks which seem different.

upload_2022-1-15_11-22-2.png
    https://www.stortz.com/product/copper-slate-hooks-per-pound/

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I had thought of this but, after some research, found no slate hooks with this configuration. Still possible but have no evidence to support the theory.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Neither do I so I'm ever the doubter:). To me it's still an open question.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We have that slat board in the shop and that was my first thought.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  15. say_it_slowly

Thanks for thinking on this:). I sent an email to a local guy that used to do early house repair but haven't heard back from him yet.

The person who sent this photo to me just sent another with a ruler. He also says that Colonial Williamsburg is working on it too so I'm guessing someone will know for sure.

I'm going to send your suggestions on for consideration:) Looks about the right size for a key to hang on doesn't it?

upload_2022-1-19_17-12-7.png

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted