Small leather wallet type thing sterling name plate

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

What is it?
    3 5/8" x 1 3/4"
    Opens similar to a wallet. I thought maybe it held business cards?, but I just can't find anything similar.
    DSCN2934.JPG DSCN2935.JPG DSCN2936.JPG DSCN2940.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It may have been used for spectacles. Something fairly dainty might fit.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Or calling cards, rather than business cards.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. afantiques

With the opening in the side, visiting cards do seem quite likely.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. tyeldom3

You all are great, thanks so much for the help Af and Messi. I'll see if I can find something similar.:kiss:

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Is that a C Babe on the plate? My Great Uncle was named Clarence Smith and nick named Babe...

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. tyeldom3

How neat Shiloh!
    Yes, it is Babe with a letter before, and after. I'm not sure what the letters are?? I thought maybe a "C", for the first one, but not sure. The second letter is very similar to the first, but slightly different. What do you think?:cat:
    DSCN2942.JPG DSCN2943.JPG

8. afantiques

It says C Babe C, maybe it was spectacles, see, babe, see.

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh and tyeldom3 like this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

Thanks for showing an up close image. Of course he died several years ago and was not in that era of fashion. I just thought it kind of coincidental.:p

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. tyeldom3

Thank you so much Af, bakersgma & shiloh. I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner, it's been a crazy few days around here.
    Af, I'm really not sure that even the smallest, or flattest spectacles would fit in here? It is very thin leather, and it seems anything, other than something flat, would not fit correctly?? IDK? I do love the "see babe see" thing though....:happy:
    I was just able to do a light polishing, and here it is again. This time with a standard business card, which will not fit. But maybe calling cards were smaller.
    Bakers, thank you so much for that ID. I do believe you are correct! That is great to know, I had given up on trying to figure that part out. It also narrows down the date to 1892-1900.How you ever figured that out is beyond me!!:confused: Thanks!!
    DSCN2968.JPG DSCN2972.JPG

12. Messilane

Most of the ones I have had over the years, have indeed been smaller than todays business card.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

Thanks Messi!:cat:

14. Messilane

I am trying to find one in all my "stuff", but no luck so far.
    Too much "stuff". LOL

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're most welcome, tyeldom! It was a case of zooming in your first closeup of the mark and then looking through various references to find a close enough match. Fortunately the sterlingflatware fashions site had the small version of their mark which others did not. ;)

tyeldom3 and afantiques like this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Try a piece of card-stock cut to 3" x 1½" - that was a pretty common size for gentlemen's visiting cards in that era, ladies' cards were usually a bit larger and more squarish.

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  17. spirit-of-shiloh

tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  19. tyeldom3

Thank you so much bakersgma, Cheryl, Messi, Shiloh and yourturntoloveit :cat:
    I cut the card to those dimensions and it's a perfect fit!! Thank you! I wish I could go back in time and see who "Babe" was.....must have been a real distinguished gentleman:cigar:.
    Shiloh that site you posted is so interesting! I really enjoyed reading it, and learned a lot also.

Draft saved Draft deleted