Small Lead Statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Eidam, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Scott Eidam

Scott Eidam Well-Known Member

Found this statue today and figured i would run it through everyone before it goes up for sale. I saw this on a table and went to pick it up.....and man! its heavy!?!? Its gotta be lead. Ive seen cast lead figures before, but not like this? Thought maybe a one off art project? Another puzzle for everyone :)

20190713_203634_compress9.jpg 20190713_203257_compress32.jpg 20190713_203332_compress62.jpg 20190713_203117_compress12.jpg 20190713_203428_compress65.jpg 20190713_210449_compress55.jpg

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Doesn't really look like lead. More like hand-formed clay.

Just how heavy is it - in pounds? Can't be all that big to fit in your hand.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

scoutshouse, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Scott Eidam

Its 3 lbs

5. Hollyblue

Sculpt wax piece from college days,Tom Sawyer and friend jewelers brass and 3.5 inches tall. brass1.jpg

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know who it's supposed to be, but meets a lot of the conventions for depicting Hercules or some of the Roman emperors.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Scott Eidam

So this one is solid brass? Just want to make sure i understand... they use the sculpting wax make a cast from it with whatever material they want?

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Hollyblue

I don't know what material yours is could be any type of metal which can be cast in a mold. The material used to make the pattern was sculpt wax,at the bottom of your piece there were 2 sprues.Your piece appears to be hollow,how far can you stick a skewer into a bottom hole?

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

student piece , i'd think !

judy and scoutshouse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted