Small Lacquer-on-Paper Box; Is the Decoration a Stylized Mon?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Mar 26, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's badly mottled an' faded on the exterior, but the interior is black, or near it. The theme of the illustration resembles a Japanese family crest, a Mon. I think I've seen this 3-leaf with berries as stylized in a B&W form; it was the Toyotomi clan Mon, now used officially by the Japanese Government; Paulownia leaves.
    The top pic faintly shows a 16-petal chrysanthemum in the upper right; this is repeated on the side of the box, but not shown. That chrysanthemum blossom was used exclusively during the Meiji by the Imperial family.
    This box could be post-war, or might be Taisho to early Showa era production, based on the apparent substrate. Thanks for lookin'!

P1400857.jpeg P1400861.jpeg P1400860.jpeg

Figtree3, kentworld, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice lacquered box! I'm assuming nobody has replied yet because you know quite a bit about it already? So thought I would comment. :)

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thank you, Fig...I really don't know much, but did a bit of research prior to posting.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted