Small Jewish Themed Watercolor

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Trying to figure the title, "Y Pabbu Mai?" or maybe I am not reading it right.
    Any idea what does this mean?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think that's a signature. Russian probably - those are Russian Jews from the clothing. It's Cyrillic, but I don't read much besides place names. They're Orthodox or maybe Hasidic, but beyond that you've got me.

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Russian it is.
    It reads ' У Равви мои', something like 'at my rabbi'.
    Wonder if the boy's done something bad or he's shy or something?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

To me it looks like he's an apple thief. There are two on the table, and the kid has a long coat with pockets.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, I learned something just now... I saw this post yesterday, and thought it might be Russian but didn't have time to investigate. The two letters in the middle are actually equivalent to the letter v, not the letter b. The letter b in Russian looks like so: б (not as much like the number 6 as this copy and paste looks... but it does look different from the b (that = v).

So anyway, I just tried the online translation and it says the following for the Russian for rabbi:

раввин
    rabbi, rabbin

рабби
    rabbi, rabbin

The first one is it... and I think that the last letter is not there, probably because it's in the prepositional case... perhaps.

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Whatever the story, the little one's hand is being held ever so gently. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted