Featured Small Ivory Panda Bear - anyone recognize the mark?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Beverly F., Mar 11, 2021.

1. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

information about this item 012.JPG information about this item 014.JPG information about this item 016.JPG information about this item 017.JPG information about this item 018.JPG This lovely panda bear came from a jewelry story in the Dallas area in the 1970's. Was told it was ivory and it has a mark on it. It is about 2" wide and 1 1/3" tall. ( information about this item 017.JPG Know there are many types of ivory - an 'ivory' vase I bought in Nigeria is from a hippo tooth.) Back to the Panda bear - I'd appreciated it if anyone knows or is familiar about the mark. (I'm still learning how to size pictures for this site.)

I love looking at different places in this site, so many interesting things and people are so helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well it's a Panda so that means China ...but the material needs a closer look.

KSW likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is cute. Do you see any natural cross-hatching pattern in the ivory?
    It is a modern piece, imo, the carving is machine tooled, I believe they use something called a rotary drill. Maybe it is mammoth ivory, that is used a lot for modern pieces.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The mammoth ivory I use/have is more greyish and severely "checked" so I doubt this is made from that.
    I think I see the lines on the back view pic, so elephantine

KSW, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, now I see them too. Those are the wide angle Schreger lines, so as you said, elephant ivory. Given the age, not a good sign.:( Modern ivory items were sold in the US in the 70s, I even saw them in the 80s. It is what it is...

upload_2021-3-11_20-11-8.jpeg

KSW, Bronwen, Boddah and 1 other person like this.
  6. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

It would have been bought in the 1970's from a jewelry store in Dallas. I also bought this necklace, perhaps made by same artist. There is a little green color added to the bamboo leaves There are no marks on it. I was really curious about the Panda Bear's markings. What are "Schreger lines"

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

Since we are talking about 'ivory', I am the 3rd person to inherit this necklace - I believe it is called a Standing Bear Fetish. It is rather sharp to wear against your neck. This one is turning a little brownish and maybe walrus? Ivory - rug 016.JPG

Attached Files:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-3-12_17-54-47.jpeg

upload_2021-3-12_17-55-42.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted