Featured Small ivory box - what purpose?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I posted this long ago on that other site. I know it's very thin ivory and the fittings appear to be brass. What do you think this was for? I wondered if it was for a pair of men's cufflinks in a travel kit, but then it would have a lining of some kind and it doesn't appear to ever have had one. It seals pretty tight when closed. 2 1/4" diameter. Any thoughts?

2016-01-19 17.56.09 (600x800).jpg 2016-01-19 17.56.17 (600x800).jpg 2016-01-19 17.56.42 (800x600).jpg

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Looks remarkably like a modern make-up compact...

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Yeah, but it doesn't look modern in person. My son thinks it was a pill box. He's probably right. This is not the son who cut up the scarf, by the way. This is the good son. LOL

scoutshouse, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

OHHH, I meant "modern" in shape, not age... it DOES look old... I was wondering if the compact form was used in the old days.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was to hold beauty spots ? Or whatever they called those things ladies used to use to cover pock marks .

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

John, do you mean a patch box?

8. clutteredcloset49

Deleted post

I didn't see this post, so I reposted wih a link.
    Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Yes ,patch box ! Ugh , I hate getting old ! LOL !

10. clutteredcloset49

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Even though you said ivory, looking at it I was seeing French Ivory, but then looking again - hey, it's real ivory!

So... maybe it's Chinese or Japanese? I'm not familiar enough with Asian toiletry or boudoir items... could be for a man's ___?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

13. scoutshouse

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Not snuff, as the shape would make it too spillable.

Mumble, mumble...

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I'm with Silverthwait here, suppose it could have been for snuff, but the lid really seems a bit deep - in consideration of the powdery contents, snuff boxes tend to have shallow lids or one set into the top as on the horn box Scoutshouse referenced. Might consider a bonbon/pastilles box, a small bonbonnierre - though when I think of an ivory bonbon box, it's more along the lines of this one: http://art.thewalters.org/detail/28494/bonbonnirre-with-pastoral-scene-2/

A commercial metal bonbon box, similar shape, but with a flat lid on top: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1900s...-Box-Made-in-Germany-/331768131552?nav=SEARCH

A similarly shaped silverplate bonbon box from an 1889 retailer's catalog:
    bonbonbox1889BHA.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  16. scoutshouse

17. scoutshouse

Actually, you're right - I went looking for the same shape, but Bev's is more open, so would let snuff fly...

Anyway, I think the ivory is a clue, and that is possible Asian. Or, could it have held another object, like a woman's watch?

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I've seen small boxes that have lids on top, but mine opens right in the middle. It's the same size on both halves. I bought it on a rainy Sunday in Paris at an open air (tented) flea market across the street from the Moulin Rouge. Hubby was more interested in getting out of the rain so he dragged me away. It was a fabulous flea market. Wish I could have stayed longer.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Closest I could come ...
    [​IMG]

CARNET DE BAL SET,probably French, circa 1900. Ivory

but someone will have to pinterest to find out more with a closer pic !!

20. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Snuff looks like it would spill out of that far too easily. I don't think it's Asian, though.

My guess is it's a patch box. I can't imagine what else it might be.

Draft saved Draft deleted