Featured Small hard stone carving, chinese?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Oct 11, 2020.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Ebay purchase from U.S. seller who sells mostly vintage/antique costume jewelry and didn't know anything about it.

I think the stone is some type of quartz (based on the look/feel and the density which I tested at 2.62) - maybe some variety chalcedony/agate. I think it's meant as a pendant as there is a small hole that a thread or necklace could pass through under the "tongue" part.

I think it's depicting a toad or salamander sitting on a rock, or on a fruit perhaps? It's roughly heart shaped and strikes me that it could be depicting a heart. The little creature has flames or perhaps just a flowery tongue coming out of it's mouth.

Strikes me as Chinese, but looking for confirmation. Also any opinions on age are welcome. I haven't found many directly comparable items to this in my googling that I've done over the last few days.

Pendant sized - 1.75 x 1 x .55 inches -- (4.4 x 2.7 x 1.4 cm).

Thanks for looking!

Last few pics are under a very bright flashlight to show the internal structure.

20201011_123814-01.jpg 20201011_123634-01.jpg 20201011_123459-01.jpg 20201011_123325-01.jpg 20201011_123140-01.jpg 20201011_122937-01.jpg 20201011_122736-01.jpg 20201011_122408-01.jpg 20201011_122515-01.jpg 20201011_121817-01.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I THINK I see an animal (?) in there but WHAT in the Good Lord's name could it BE????????????????????!:jawdrop: ......Octopus????

judy, KSW and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

It's hard to get a picture that shows all the carving details at once and how the overall piece looks in hand. I'm pretty sure it's a salamander, or frog/toad(tadpol-ish).

The first pic shows what's coming out of it's mouth, or what appears to be coming out of it's mouth, (tongue/flames, vines?) - the fourth pic is the body of the lil'critter. (he has a small tail on the bottom left of the fourth pic).

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think this is a job for @Any Jewelry. ;) :playful::playful::playful: :happy::happy::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I am absolutely clueless but would have been intrigued enough to snatch it up myself. :happy::happy:

Any Jewelry, judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m farrr from knowledgeable here but I like watching auctions of Chinese art. While some carvers look for stone that’s consistent in color others seem to cherish stones like yours. I love it when a solid stone that features different colors is carved. I would agree that it’s likely Chinese for what it’s worth. Here’s a really cool Chinese example. 64E2D8F2-3E6C-4E4B-8B00-619CF6F1EFBD.jpeg

7. aaroncab

I agree! The varied colors in the single piece of stone are what first caught my eye on this little guy.

The piece you posted is beautiful, do you know if it is carved from fluorite?

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. J Dagger

I fall in love with almost every one I see like these but the old ones are always too expensive for me to buy and keep for myself. The last photo was called amethyst. Not sure if that is correct or not. Looks like it could be but I don’t know stones well. Here’s a few other cool examples in jade. 8E99DFAC-42A2-4392-AAED-9F7609BF9CA4.jpeg 5CAC17CD-0B8A-4F74-96D1-71CE40427A5C.jpeg 94988855-B567-4317-A94B-FF376F8B33B0.jpeg

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

If someone calls a stone amethyst and the stone is not purple,it is something other than amethyst.

aaroncab likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Cute. It’s got little feet like it’s going to walk off but can’t quite decide in which direction!

bercrystal and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is indeed Chinese. And it is a beauty, looks antique to me. The stone, maybe some kind of agate?
    Yes, that is fluorite.

12. aaroncab

Thank you AJ !

I'm also thinking some variety of agate. Whatever its made of, it's my new favorite good luck charm and travels in my pocket much of the day.

judy, antidiem, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Yay! That is what it was made for.:happy:

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suspect that initial pebble is fairly new, the cutting done by power tools.

judy, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  15. J Dagger

That portion of the comment was in reference to the first photo I posted in this thread. That was of a partially purple stone. That said I still don’t know if it’s amethyst or not.

judy likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

It is fluorite.:)

17. Monmon298

Monmon298 Member

It looks like a lotus seed.
    [​IMG]
    This is a contemporary lotus seed design in Singapore jewelry store
    [​IMG]

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted