Small hand painted plates - Japanese or Chinese? 20th Century?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Feb 9, 2023.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

These came in a mixed lot which was described as "Oriental, late 19th or early 20th Century". I was just about to list them on ebay (I can't keep everything I like!), when I realised I should really ask people more knowledgeable than myself what they actually are. I think they are Japanese, circa 1900 - 1930, perhaps side plates, but maybe they aren't. What do you think? They are hand painted by two different artists, I think, because they differ quite a bit in detail. They are completely unmarked. They have little pinpricks in the glaze. I haven't been able to find anything at all like them online, especially the scalloped edges, and they are very small, about 5 inches in diameter, rather like saucers but not shaped like them. I think the method of adding the enamel quite thickly goes back a long way, particularly the flower heads, but I think adding gilding is probably a much more recent practice. Thanks in advance for any input. Japanese Plates - 1.jpeg Japanese Plates - 2.jpeg Japanese Plates - 3.jpeg Japanese Plates - 4.jpeg

Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted