Small Hammered copper roasting pan

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by verybrad, Dec 8, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is another freebie from the trash. Could use some help with key words and how to maximize selling potential. I know some bring decent money but don't really know what people look for.

This is 8" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/4" excluding handles. Both the body and lid are stamped with the number 20. There are no other markings. Is the 20 a volume designation? If so, 20 what? The body is dovetailed and hammered. The lid seems to be stamped. The handles are cast. It is tin lined. Origin? Would you call it an oval roasting pan or does it have another name?

How much cleaning should I do on this? The dark grease spots on the body seem like they could be removed fairly easily but leave lighter spots once removed. Something has spilled on the lid and removed some of the patina on the lid but it is starting to return a bit. I know people who actually use these and those across the pond probably want this polished. Would it sell better polished up a bit?

coppan.jpg coppan2.jpg coppan3.jpg coppan5.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Polish it. There is a big difference between tarnish and patina. Patina is just a slight different look by years of cleaning and polishing, giving it a glow from tiny scratches. Tarnish is years of neglect. Silver and brass need polishing. JMHO
    greg

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I would polish it. For one thing, it'd look more hygienic and I think you'd win more buyers that way.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It would need to be re-tinned if you plan to cook with it. I'd guess you can get as much leaving it alone as you would having it restored, so shining it up a bit might the the limit of what I'd do.

6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Just out of sheer curiosity - who the hell do you contact to get something 're-tinned'? I know it happens, I just can't figure out where you'd go to have that done...

7. evelyb30

There are people who specialize in it. It depends on where you are, and how big the job is. I use stainless and cast iron rather than copper, so who does the best job is best left to someone who's had it done.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The firm I have used here to re-plate silver plated flatware does re-tinning of copper pots as well.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You have someone who re-plates silver?
    That's a lost art here. Don't know of anyone who re plates here in our area.

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

11. Bakersgma

Yes, we do. They also do cleaning, polishing and repairs. Not cheap, but they came in very handy when I needed to have a dozen 1886 hollow-handle knives re-plated and the worn silverplated blades replaced with stainless ones as part of a wedding gift to a niece.

12. Bakersgma

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The tinning really seems to be intact. It is just badly discolored. Should I attempt to shine this up as well? Is this pot a job for Brasso? ..... LOL!

I actually have some Nevr-Dull I could use. Any other recommendations for this job?

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Brasso sounds right.....

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hope we can see when you finish!!!!!!!

16. komokwa

It'll be too bright to photograph !!! ..............................supposedly ..! :rolleyes:

17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If the Never Dull requires a lot of elbow grease, you might try vinegar and salt or lemon and salt.

KOT -
    Thanks for posting the link.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  18. evelyb30

Or scalding milk, if you have some that needs getting rid of. I found out about that the hard way. Boiling (over) milk takes the tarnish right off copper.

19. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Ketchup works wonders on copper!

20. komokwa

& french fries......