Small cup with paris stamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin s, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

20240115_171945_resize_80.jpg 20240115_171954_resize_52.jpg 20240115_172000_resize_33.jpg 20240115_172028_resize_89.jpg Hi.

Does anyone have any info on this small cup.its stamped porcelain de paris and theres another red stamp.

Thanks in advance

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Martin, in the future, it would be helpful if you photographed items again plain backgrounds so they're easier to see. Have you done a Google Images search?

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  3. Martin s

Hi Debora.

Sorry if posting again i will do with plain backgrounds. google image searched it cant get same design but Edme Samson comes up when looking at something a bit similar

Sorry again

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not a problem. Just a helpful reminder.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Given the lack of a handle, I wonder if it might be a tea slop bowl?

00000ca.jpg

judy, kentworld and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That handpainted mark inclines me to think it was decorated at least in part, by a non-commercial artist.

judy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Martin s

Thank you for all the help

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the similarity.

judy likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Slop bowls are larger than this one, I think. @Martin s -- it's helpful to include approximate dimensions as we can't tell how big or small from photos. I usually crop my photos so that distracting backgrounds are removed.

12. kentworld

How unusual to have that pseudo-Chinese mark on a Porcelaine de Paris piece. Someone being humorous? Trying to make people think it's Edme Samson? (The psuedo marks used by Edme Samson were for Chinese export porcelain reproductions as the article that Sis posted says.)

13. Martin s

The cup measures aporox 2 and half inches in diameter by approx 2 and quarter inches in height
    Sorry for quality of photos

kentworld likes this.
  14. kentworld

So, not a slop bowl. I can't quite see, but are there some raised rings on either side of the bowl? Maybe a tea cup, but it would've been made way later than when handle-less tea cups were used. The photos are fine, but you probably can crop them with whatever editing feature your camera/device uses.

15. Martin s

Hi yea there are two raised rings on the cup.
    Thanks for help

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted