Featured Small Chinese Champleve Censer - Older, or just poor workmanship?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 2manybooks, Apr 23, 2023.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A recent acquisition from auction, with no provenance. I have seen this form referred to as a "fang ding". The copper-alloy casting shows several flaws/splits on the bottom. The enamel shows quite a bit of pitting. I recall reading somewhere (I can't find the reference now) that such pitting may be characteristic of some older Chinese enamels. There are no markings anywhere.

5 1/2" high x 4" across handles x 3" front to back.

I would appreciate opinions on its age, and any other observations. TIA

Censer 1.jpg Censer 2.jpg Censer 3.jpg Censer 4.jpg Censer 5.jpg Censer 6.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Just a bump, to see if I can get more eyes. Perhaps I should have put this in Metals.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing about this stuff so take my answer as a guesstimate. Late 19th c/early 20th c. Most of this type of "rough" champleve that I've encountered has been given similar dates.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Just like everything, there is good quality stuff and not-so-good quality stuff for people who want the look, but don't have the $$$. ;)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with kent, ca 1890-1900. For home use, lower end but charming.

Draft saved Draft deleted