Small Asian Pot (Satsuma?) with Odd Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

my dad bought a lot at auction that included this item. Fairly sure it’s supposed to be Asian. Wasn’t sure but there are two people on the pot who are definitely East Asian.

Colours look like a subdued satsuma to me but I haven’t researched it, feel free to discard that assumption.

The mark isn’t Asian though by the looks of things it has an OD then three lines below that and two what might be shields? To the side.

My assumption was that this was an English piece with a mark to simulate Asian marks.

Not much age to the base
    Feel free to compliment my sock choice

AFBBF894-5F0A-4DDE-9896-F033AAF1ED67.jpeg 6DAA4996-1BBB-4852-A9E7-CACD96514251.jpeg 687E2E32-18E1-4BC8-A383-356F71AB9B32.jpeg 4A9F0FF4-E4CF-48A1-A121-B39EBB4440EF.jpeg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I can't read it, but are you sure the top and bottom go together?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Nathan Lindop

I see what you mean haha. They do though. The orange coloured line with holding is echoed exactly at the base. I’m pretty certain they do match

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Nathan Lindop

I can’t unsee how they clash now

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I believe this is a modern Chinese piece, freely copying Satsuma, but the decoration is off...

Draft saved Draft deleted