Featured Small antique painting -- or overpainting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just need some other eyes on this. It was at a garage sale last weekend ($10) and I was totally on the fence whether to get it but in the end, did. I noted the damage on the frame of course.

The owner said it was brought over from his family in Scotland.

I struggled to see whether it was a painting or maybe a tinted or enhanced print. The reddish-brown bushes along the creek seem to be painted on or enhanced.

It's signed, or the print is signed. All thoughts appreciated!

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc99.jpg

sc4b.jpg

sc22.jpg

The back had been pried open already, so here's a view.

sc4.jpg

sc1a.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess a heavily hand-colored photo. Could be original or a reproduction.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Painting + frame certainly a sweet combination. Backing would lead one to think a decorative multiple rather than an original. I read artist's name as "Snow." Can you read the date?

Debora

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I can't quite make out what is written below the name, but does look like numbers. It almost looks like 3 numbers, but could be wrong. I'm loathe to remove it from the frame, but might come to that.

I got "Snow" for the name too. Googling that doesn't get me anywhere. :banghead:

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's understated , and lovely..

lovewrens likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Does look like a hand tinted photo to me as well.

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I like the Model T pickup in the background.If it's not a 'multiple' or a pastel/gouache-tinted photo,it's a beautiful little realistic work.
    You'll need to loupe it or better, an illuminated magnifying lens to make a more educated guess.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd think it's a hand-tint too. I see them here sometimes, usually either portraits or multiples made to be pretty on a wall. If it's signed in the image odds are it's a multiple.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The three digits could be a series number.

Debora

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I live on Cape Cod where Snow is one of the most common names. I'd take it out of the frame for a good look

Draft saved Draft deleted