Small 3-drawer 7-1/2" high chest with asian writing - can anyone translate?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Mar 29, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Can anyone translate the writing on the back of this tiny chest? It looks like quite an old piece, maybe for spices, but I'm confused about the lock on the lower drawer (and what that drawer would have been for). The chest measures 7-1/2 inches high, 5-3/4 inches wide, and 7 inches deep. There are some letters on the front, at the right side, with more extensive writing on the back of the chest. Thank you! ... Dave
    db_drawers_1.JPG
    db_drawers_2.JPG
    db_drawers_3.JPG

mymysharona43 and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Chinese? Medicines maybe too. It's got a ventilation hole in the back, so I'm doubting spices.

KingofThings and gimbler-dave like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    looks like a Chinese pharmacy chest or tea chest. The lock looks like it was added later. Is there any lingering aromas??
    greg

KingofThings and gimbler-dave like this.
  4. gimbler-dave

No, no odors, but some debris that looked dried noodles in multiple colors.

mymysharona43 and KingofThings like this.
  5. gimbler-dave

I didn't think so at first, but went back and took another look. The top edge of that drawer looks modified, so I think you are correct.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. gimbler-dave

It may have been added with the lock. Each drawer fits in its own compartment, so the ventilation hole only works for the bottom drawer (there is no air flow to the other drawers from the hole location).

KingofThings likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the hole in the back is a push hole. Notice there is no knob to pull to open the drawer. Presumably you might be able to pull with the key. But if what ever was in the drawer was heavy you might have needed to push.

8. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

This is a Japanese 金庫 kin ko, usually called a money box in English. It's marked with a date in 35 Meiji (1902) and an address in Kyoto. Easy to Google "meiji money box."

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Cool! Looks like a neat thing to store small stuff.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  10. gimbler-dave

Thank you!

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

You could probably find an old-fashioned locksmith to make a key that fits. My husband still impressions and we collect keys from yard sales and flea markets. People come in all the time with antique chests and cabinets and he makes keys by impression for $16.00. It's probably worth more in some places, but he likes doing it.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  12. gimbler-dave

Thanks Bev, we'll probably offer it without the key, but it is good to know that one can be made. Should be especially easy since the whole lock can be taken to the locksmith. We have a key collection here too, so might even have one around here that fits.

Draft saved Draft deleted