Sir John A MacDonald and Wife?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by B Rae, Jul 7, 2023.

1. B Rae

B Rae New Member

macdonald 2.jpg Can anyone help me, I believe this is a original photograph of Sir John A MacDonald and his wife, but, I am not quite sure. Can anyone confirm? If it is, what then?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It certainly resembles them, doesn't it? Anything printed on the card? How did you acquire it and what were you told about it?

Debora

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. B Rae

B Rae New Member

Hi Debora

Thanks for the reply. Actually, yes, I am attaching the back of the photo. An inscription which came with the album, states "Presented to A. E Dumbauld by S.L Brooks for one winter's attendance at school. Black Creek, April 4, 1889." There are about 30-40 different photos and types. macdonald back 3.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. B Rae

B Rae New Member

I bought it a number of years ago at a antique show.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. B Rae

B Rae New Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I don't see it !
    & can't find if he and his wife were ever in Uniontown Pa.

bobsyouruncle and Figtree3 like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think so either. He had a smaller chin and a bigger nose. Were you told it was MacDonald?

bobsyouruncle and Figtree3 like this.
  9. B Rae

B Rae New Member

No, I was not told it was, I just thought it looked alot like him and his wife? Thus, this forum. This is a great discussion, thanks everyone!!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Reason why it's always important to post photographs of object's backs and anything printed, handwritten of affixed with queries.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

To me they look like siblings.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought so too. But the hand on the shoulder is a typical posture for married couples.

Debora

Figtree3 and B Rae like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The album may have been presented when new to young Mr. Dumbauld for his attendance at school. There is a Black Creek Township in Pennsylvania, but it is several hundred miles across the state from Uniontown where the photo studio was.

The style of the photo is from the 1860s, 20+ years prior to the presentation to Mr. Dumbauld. One possibility is that these were relatives of the Dumbauld family, and the photo was put into the album later.

Another possibility is that the presentation to Mr. Dumbauld was not the album, but was something else that is no longer with the inscription. Was the inscription written in the album, or on a separate piece of paper?

Also, I didn't do a lot of research but found A. E. Dumbauld in the 1910 U. S. Census, living in Connellsville, Pennsylvania with a wife named Ivy and a son Irvin. A. E. Dumbauld (spelled incorrectly as Dumbold in this census) was 29 years old at that time, so was born about 1881. Connellsville, where they were living, is very close to Uniontown, where the CDV photo originated.

[Edited the paragraph above to indicate that it was the 1910 census where I found A. E. Dumbauld.]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May we please see a photograph of the inscription?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

photo (2).jpg photo.jpg

Look like brother and sister to me, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted