Singer Miniature Child's Sewing Machine No. 20

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by OnAQuest, Oct 3, 2023.

1. OnAQuest

OnAQuest Member

I have a Singer Miniature Child's Sewing Machine No. 20 but have not been able to figure out why there is Latin writing on it. See the photos and enlighten me if you happen to know.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see any Latin, but I do see Spanish.

smallaxe, judy, Boland and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Probably made in a Spanish speaking country.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

can we see the whole machine?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. OnAQuest

OnAQuest Member

Thank you for that link! I had found something that referred to the writing as Latin which looked like Spanish to me.

These Singer machines are so incredible. Also have my Grandmothers 1950 Singer Featherweight 221-1 which is still in perfect working order.

This is the full Singer Miniature Child's Sewing Machine No. 20 machine.

IMG_2281.jpg IMG_2284.jpg IMG_2277.jpg

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't know what the collectibility is today of these mini machines, but when dolls were selling they also sold well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Yours is particuarlly sweet with the original box, paperwork.

Any Jewelry and OnAQuest like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The featherweights were popular amongst quilters, and might still be so. Quilting was quite the "thing" a few years back, and women loved the featherweight because it was so much lighter than the regular portables. Many women got together to make their quilts. Also, sewing stores offered lessons.

I worked for Husqvarna sewing machines, and the women who ran the store offered many lessons. I conducted some, but never quilting. I can appreciate how beautifully made they are, but it's too slow to make one, imho!

I'm unsure of their appeal today, but ebay used to have their fair share offered. You can check there for prices. Condition means lots.

Any Jewelry, OnAQuest and komokwa like this.
  10. OnAQuest

OnAQuest Member

Thank you Judy, I agree the Featherweight isn't as zippy as modern machines. It's like owning a classic car, it's a passion. Hahaha

You've given me an idea though... I'm going to check with the local shops and see if anyone has interest in either. If nothing else a show piece for a display case. I'd gladly donate them to the right place. I'd just be happy to see them go to someone who wants them.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted