Featured Singer found in loft!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ian Bradshaw, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Ian Bradshaw

Ian Bradshaw New Member

Hi,
    We're just in the process of clearing out my grandads house before house clearance and found this sewing machine in the loft. I don't think it's worth much (and to be honest that's not what I'm interested in as it's a family possession) but I'm interested to know a rough date.
    And also, can these be cleaned up much without loosing more of the detail?
    Any information appreciated thank you.

1000017490.jpg
    1000017489.jpg

1000017488.jpg

1000017492.jpg

Aquitaine, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Yeah, not actually a Singer.

Konig & Company I think.

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Agreed. Not a SINGER.

Looking at the general styling and design, this was likely made in GERMANY. The offset handcrank and the fiddle-base, the TS mechanism...very German.

Singer was determined to have the latest and greatest technology.

The Germans picked what was good, and then just engineered the everloving heck out of it, to the extent that they were still making TS machines in the 1920s and 30s, 60, 70 years after that mechanism was invented.

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Ian Bradshaw

Ian Bradshaw New Member

Thanks for replies!
    Now I look at it closely - not a Singer but easily assumed to be one!
    We have that much to go through as you can imagine, so appreciate the information

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The only old Singer I'm interested in having, if I can ever find one at an affordable price, is a Featherweight. And I think I prefer a model 222 over the 221, if given the choice.
    For me, no other old sewing machine is worth the space in my small home.
    Non-Featherweights turn up in my local thrifts and FB Marketplace fairly frequently for very reasonable prices.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Around here they go begging unless sold for cheap. I'm still using my grandmother's old Singer, but it's not a Featherweight. It's also only moving if I do.

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Virginia

Virginia New Member

I'll tell you where you can find Regular and Featherweight Singers on a regular basis ... ShopGoodwill.com. There are always lots of listings for older and vintage Singers. And currently, there are seven Featherweight listings, all with fierce bidding on them - I think these are all 221s. But if you check that site out regularly, you'll find there are always a few Featherweights.

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

In my experience, ANTIQUE sewing machines (those 80-100 years+) sell for between next-to-nothing, to upwards of about $300-$400, MAYBE a bit more ($500 max) if they're in SPECTACULAR condition. I've bought them for as cheap as $20-$30.00 all day long.

A vintage machine (say, from the 50s or 60s and more-recent), especially if electric - you can barely give them away. Nobody wants them. If you get $100 for it, count your blessings, and get rid of it, because you won't get much more.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I used to have a website saved for Singer Featherweights, @bluumz, where they collected and sold them…..don’t know how or where it disappeared to….if I find it, will post it though…and they WERE selling pretty well for NOT so reasonable prices!!!:jawdrop:

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought someone found this in their loft:

asing.jpeg

bluumz, komokwa, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a featherweight . I am not much for sewing even though my mother sewed constantly. Made all of our clothes growing up clear up to my brides maids dresses. I like it's simplicity. Easier to trouble shoot.

bluumz likes this.
  16. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am wondering if a little Murphy's soap would be good for cleaning the machine. Don't use anything with ammonia , it is a paint remover. After cleaning maybe a little Howard's beeswax buffed when dried. There are sewing machine repair places that might not only clean it up get it in working order.

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks, Virginia, I'm well aware of the goodwill online shopping platforms (they have three) but the problem is the pricing. Featherweights are so desirable that they can reach some high numbers.
    "Reasonable" really equates to "bargain" for me...
    One day I hope to find one cheap at a garage sale, LOL!

Yep, I think they're the "holy grail" of vintage/antique sewing machines... for those that want a machine to actually use regularly! I've heard that quilters especially love them. I was never a quilter, strictly garment sewing for me.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

UPDATE!!! @bluumz!!! I FOUND that link to the 'Featherweight Shop' !!!

I have a Featherweight, white machine that was Mom's.....and I did use it while down at the Cape.....helping with her 'care-giving' after my Dad passed, and I DID use it to make my "Sanity Quilt"!!! It's a super little machine, and I also have a "Quilter's Dream" sewing machine, but now I don't sew so much anymore!!! Mostly just repairs, at this point in time!! Good Luck finding just what you want!! I also wasn't into quilting (other than the "Sanity" one.....I think I posted my 'stash' of quilts that I inherited from Mom after she too passed, on Antiquers too.)

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted