Featured Silverplated Box with Dog - Made in Japan

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 25, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Today I went to an "Antiques" sale at my favorite resale shop. It was a total bust - mostly uninspired vintage. It was a sad tale of someone who accumulated stuff to open an antique store, but finally, her family insisted she dispose of it. I waited an hour to get in first and bought three small things. This is a small, silverplated box with a dog on top. It is 2 3/4 inches wide, 3 1/4 long and 1 3/4 inches tall. It is marked with a symbol and then Made in Japan. I bought it because it was very worn, so I hope older. Can anyone shed a light on it? Any comments, ideas or suggestions for research will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0721.jpg IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0725.jpg IMG_0720.jpg IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0717.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first guess would be a cigarette box.

3. KikoBlueEyes

That makes sense because the wear is in the middle. Thank you

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$42.99 (2008)

bercrystal, Debora and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

That is so kind of you! Thank you very much. I paid $7, so I didn't spend too much for it.

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You may find it's made from antimony, rather than pewter. There was a period in the early to mid 20th century when the Japanese made quite a lot of smaller decorative items in antimony. They are often plated in silver and other finishes, and the finish rubs off easily rather like as can be seen on your item. They are often overlooked and prices can still be very low, I pick them up when I can as I suspect at some point (perhaps when someone writes a collectors guide) prices will go up.

Nice find.

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out too. I have a small collection of silver plated items, and he joined that group last night. I did a little research and I see what you mean.
    japanese antimony box - Google Search

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted