Featured Silverplate questions -- don't need ID

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got these on the last day of this recent sale. The little one (Haddon plate) was $5 and the large one $10. I realize resale value is minimal, but I thought I might be able to use the large tray for something -- neighbor's potluck, to display things at a garage sale... I dunno. The little dish I just found so attractive... until I wrecked it (I think!)

So had a few questions.

First, what do you call the edging to these two pieces. Pewter?

Now that I'm examining the larger tray, and especially after what happened to the dish, I think I better not touch it. Maybe it is too worn, and better keep it in its sort of "evenly distressed" mode.

Here is what happened to the little dish. Was thinking it just needed a polish, but once I got it home realized it had an even layer of kitchen oily dirt or dust-- sort of that coating estate sale things get when they are on display forever without being used, when stored near cooking oils, etc.

So I got some kitchen soap and water on a clean rag and tried to clean it off.

Now maybe this would have happened no matter what I did, or not impossible it was already like this but the dust was filling the holes, but this seemed to pit it in spots. See last photo.

General thoughts appreciated. The large tray is not signed which seems odd, but probably doesn't matter. I do think it might work for something... maybe Halloween candy?

silv2.jpg silv3.jpg silv4.jpg silv5.jpg silv6.jpg silv7.jpg silv8.jpg

silv9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The marking BM Mounts means that the edges and handles were made of britannia metal (a British version of the pewter alloy.) The mounts may have been plated with silver.

Those pits are often found on well-worn silver plated items and sometimes on lesser worn pieces that were stored away damp or were exposed for too long to acidic foods or salt. You didn't do any except make them visible.

EDIT - Now that I read to the bottom of your OP I realize that the "small dish" is the one with the mark. It's the grapes that were made of britannia.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

That little tray is really pretty @Lucille.b

Up close it really doesn't look as bad as a lot of EP when cleaned - The plate isn't worn off (from what I can see) and that beautiful pattern has its own gradation.

4. Lucille.b

Thank you both, helpful!

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I believe the Haddon Plate tray was manufactured by McGlashan-Clarke Co. Toronto, On. and was sold exclusively through the T. Eaton Dept. Stores (Canada wide). I have not seen trays manufactured by them, but they did produce several flatware patterns.
    I would continue to clean your pretty little plate as much as possible, then use a fabric or paper doily to disguise the pitting.

Bakersgma and Lucille.b like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Ummm - you know, Campell's tomato soup (and catsup and Coke) is a great tarnish remover? - but probably as "effective" as dipping!

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks that's a good suggestion.

Draft saved Draft deleted