SilverPlate ? Butter Pat Mills Restaurant

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Suzy60us, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Found this Unmarked small metal Butter Pat Mills Restaurant Logo. I think it is triple plated restaurant Silver but not sure. It does not hold a magnet and is heavy for its size.

Measures 2.75" in diameter. Mills Restaurant were in Ohio from 1920's until 1976.

Would it be silver platted ? DSC03360.JPG DSC03359.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Think it is plated but would doubt it was "triple plated" as it seems to be down to the brass around the windmill.
    Could be wrong. Wait for the experts.
    cheers
    Stephen

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely looks worn off in the center where it would have gotten the most cleaning. Without any marks it's hard to say. Despite numerous myths, most silver plated items don't attract a magnet anyway. You could use the "ice cube" test on the underside, but only if it's absolutely flat. You place an ice cube on the surface to be tested and if it immediately (and I do mean immediately) begins to melt and move around (floating on the melted water), then I think it would be safe to say it's plated with silver. If it sticks in place, it's not.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

5. Suzy60us

Thanks to both of you ! It is silver plated. The ice cube melted....

Shortly after I posted here, I told my husband how much I have learned since I retired. I cannot wait to show him what I learned today, the ice cube test.

Sue

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

It's a fun "trick" isn't it!

judy likes this.
  7. Suzy60us

Yes it is fun ! I think I'll hang on to the butter pat and show the Grandkids "my magic".

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

And it could be educational too! Have a stainless steel pot at hand and show them the different effect on the cube!

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

My "learned something today" is the ice cube trick also. I had never heard of this before & will try it later on a tray I have on the shelf.

Thanks so much for sharing all of your silver wisdom Sue!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Well, I was just passing along something that I learned here! Think it was last year or so, tried it on known pieces and it worked!

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I guess I missed it when it was passed along last time, so I am glad you had a chance to repeat it for us. :happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted