Featured Silverplate butter dish?!?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, May 16, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I purchased a mixed silver lot recently, some coin silver and some plate. This was in it and described as a butter dish. It seems to be a bit overworked to be just a butter dish. Not to mention I’m not sure where the butter goes unless it’s missing something internally? Maybe ice goes in to keep it cold? No drain anywhere. I can’t figure out what’s going on here. I hope someone knows? It weighs over 6lbs and is about 14” handle to handle. Speaking of handles I’d guess it’s missing something/a handle for the lid. The lid is a bit hard to get off without taking the middle piece out with it once it’s on. No marks anywhere on this. Very stoutly made. B512FD86-5920-4E91-8E48-83DFB972A92F.jpeg BDC8C4E4-681B-4972-8CD8-8461F78EC3DB.jpeg A2DEF381-B848-4679-BF12-03551C87863F.jpeg 9BDFC68C-2A55-4B13-8F99-18E135EF46A0.jpeg

cxgirl, stracci and Bronwen like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Short on time, but believe this is a 19th century brazier/warmer/chafer, but would think insulated handles and feet should be present since a hot coal would be in the bottom, water in the second section, plate/dish/bowl of food set on top...

~Cheryl

cxgirl, bercrystal, J Dagger and 6 others like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found some similar but not sure if the accompanying info is correct. They do have wooden handles

upload_2023-5-17_9-12-25.png

https://www.chairish.com/product/93...nd-platter-warmers-with-wood-handles-european

A very nice pair of silver on copper plate food warmers. Food would be place directly on top and served or on a platters that would have kept hot from the hot water inside the container.

DIMENSIONS
    13.5ʺW × 8ʺD × 3.5ʺH
    PERIOD
    Early 19th Century
    COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
    Ireland

cxgirl, bercrystal, J Dagger and 4 others like this.
  4. J Dagger

Thanks SIS and DW! That makes a lot more sense than butter. Also explains why no handle on top and why no sign there had been one. I wonder if a piece is missing that would hold a coal in bottom since no real sign of burns. I wonder if a hot rock would suffice?

I often put my plates or bowls on the flat top range for a minute before eating in the winter. We keep the house cool so the plates instantly make your food cold in the winter. A minute on the range first really helps. I could start using this though!! Lol

cxgirl, bercrystal and say_it_slowly like this.
  5. J Dagger

Ah yeh the photos in your link seem to show a box that would fit in the middle of the base.

bercrystal and say_it_slowly like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

the handles might have been covered with something that has broken off.

Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  7. J Dagger

Good point!!

Draft saved Draft deleted