Silverplate base for vase? Porter Brit 19th C.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by say_it_slowly, Dec 20, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know the maker, Porter Britannia (or sometimes shown as Brittania) & Plate Co 1859-1870's (at least I'm sort of sure). What I'm wondering is just what it held and what it should have looked like in case I come across a likely insert.

It is about 7½" to the top of the decorative heads and is marked on the bottom Porter Brit & Plate Co 40.

Base for a glass celery vase? It seems a little big and bold for that but I really have no idea.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What is the opening diameter?
    Also, it appears that the part that holds the glass is cupped, is that correct?

3. say_it_slowly

Yes the bottom glass holder is cupped with an interior diameter at the rim of about 3". The interior diameter of the upper ring is a bit over 3¼" diameter.

4. clutteredcloset49

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I had seen those and the lovely colored glass. I was wondering if the shape of the glass might be something like this one in general shape though this is Meriden said to be 10" high and a celery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. clutteredcloset49

Coming back - a new look and what I see or don't see are handles on the three examples shown, but no handles on yours.

Once a glass insert is added, yours might very well stand 9-10" so I wouldn't rule out celery.

Guess I'm not helping much. Sorry.

7. say_it_slowly

Oh yes helping, I appreciate your thoughts so much! I also thought of lack of handles and it's got good weight. It looks so trophy like but perhaps that's just the Egyptian revival thing going on (at least in my head that's what I'm guessing).

I've looked at so many pictures of lovely silver and glass celery vases, spooners etc and while it's great fun I'm not really finding something that gives me the ah hah moment.

In my head I'm wondering if the shape of the glass should be something more like this but with more classical decoration if any. I'm pretty lost.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted