Featured Silver What's It?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what this is? The person I bought it from said it's a toothpick case but I just can't see that.

It measures 1-3/4" wide x 2-3/8" tall when closed. The chain is 25" opened up. The only mark is the "Silver", no maker's mark. The inside appears to have a gold wash.

Thank you :)

SilverWhatsItFt.jpg SilverWhatsItBk.jpg SilverWhatsItOpen.jpg SilverWhatsItMrk.jpg

Lark, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Dance card case? Although those are usually flat.
    Is that the size of a toothpick case? (Can't find my conversion site, and don't know how much 3/8" is in 'real money'.;))
    Could you post a photo with a familiar object for size please?

Lark, judy, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

1-3/4" = 4.5 cm and 2-3/8" = 6 cm, does that help?

The reason I am thinking not for toothpicks is if you opened it up they would all fall out, there is nothing to hold them in :wacky:

Lark, judy, Gus Tuason and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree with AJ, dance card case, or small aide memoire, the two tangs would hold the backing card of a mini note book.

Marko, Lark, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Perfect, thank you!:happy:
    True, there don't seem to be any brackets to hold a band, and those two things with the sterling mark suggest a one piece item which you slide in. Like a notebook or a dance card.

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

How about rolling papers?

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Very pretty Marie. with the size and shape could it be for small calling cards.
    Mikey
    Rolling papers? Really lol

Marko, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I doubt the rolling papers. :rolleyes:

9. wlwhittier

My child haunts me yet. Sigh...

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Besides papers are a waste of time.
    21st Century vape is the thing!
    Lol

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Who smokes anymore ? its all about edibles now ! I agree notebook,and Id love to have it !

judy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  12. wlwhittier

There's something to be said for taking the time to roll a...whatever. It's almost a lost art. Many of my elders in the '40s & '50s, and then my contemporaries in the '60's and on, were quite adept; some could roll one-handed while carrying on a conversation, barely glancing at the result until it was sealed & finished. Them were th' days.

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Matchbook cover...

~Cheryl

Gus Tuason, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ladies calling card case?
    I would have thought a dance card case to be designed to hold a small notebook and pencil/pen.

bercrystal likes this.
  16. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It could potentially be a matchbook holder, but matchbooks were invented in the 1890's and not common until the early 1900's. The style of the case could be earlier than this, looks more late Victorian to me, so on the edge of whether it was in time for match books.

bercrystal likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

While similar decoration could certainly be earlier, this particular piece, by form, would typically date circa 1920s-30s, though production, in various metals, started early in the 20th century, and they were certainly produced later as well. They're usually American or British, but were also made elsewhere, and there were other types produced into at least the 1970s-80s.

It is, without question, a cover/case/box/holder for a matchbook, not particularly uncommon, I've seen many over the years, in various form and decoration, with different tabs, bands, plates, etc. used for holding the matchbook in place while leaving the striker exposed.

They're easily searched online, here is one dated 1926 with similar tabs, shown with a matchbook:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/843580754/antique-english-sterling-silver

matchbook-silver-1926.JPG

This one engraved '1920', with a lip holding the matchbook:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372732721514

matchbook-silver-1920.JPG

This one dated 1919, with an open plate to hold the matchbook:

matchbook-silver-1919.JPG

Similar on this one from 1922:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203895790840

matchbook-silver-1922.JPG

This one has a simple band to hold the matchbook:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123935925441

matchbook-silver-elgin.JPG

1904 U.S. Patent for similar:

matchbook-patent-1904.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    bercrystal, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. DragonflyWink

Should mention, there appears to be a faint, pretty much indiscernible trademark to the right of 'STERLING' (and it's most likely American)...

~Cheryl

19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Marie Forjan - Is the chain marked?

@DragonflyWink - I am fascinated by this one because I couldn't figure out how it worked. Are you supposed to tuck the cover piece behind the matches? Is the area in the lid of the one matchbook a spot to put the used matches? Do you think the chain is original to the piece?

DragonflyWink likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

There's no real need for the paper cover because there's a metal cover. Not sure what you mean about the spent matches - maybe the 'window' in the plate that holds the matchbook in place? If so, it allows use of the striker on the matchbook.

No, the chain wouldn't be original, if a bale is present as on this one, it would be suspended from a watch chain, chatelaine, etc.

~Cheryl

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted