Silver teapot on stand - potentially Georgian?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Laurenw187, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

I have inherited a teapot and am told it is georgian... I have no idea, can anyone tell me any information about it?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

We will need a few good pictures.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Lauren! I'm not seeing any photos so I'm wondering if you're having trouble uploading them. You can hit the upload a file button and upload from your computer files but the size can't be too large. You can also use the mountain icon to upload from other sources. Some photos you can just copy/paste.

If you can give a photo or two of the item and a close up of any marks I'm sure someone can help.

4. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

5. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

Yes was struggling with image size! Think I've managed now!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's a lovely pot, Lauren! Any chance of a right way up picture of the marks - one that looks more directly at them and closer? Cropping will help keep the size down, if necessary.

Just off the top of my brain, I suspect the pot is more likely to be silverplated and more recent than true "Georgian" period, but a good look at the marks will help a lot. It could be that the person who said "Georgian" was referring to the style, rather than the actual age.

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

z.JPG

Looks like some of the numbers have been over-stamped, but I doubt that's important.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

Is this any better?

Attached Files:

9. Bakersgma

Yes, Lauren, much better. It's clear that you pot is NOT solid silver of the Georgian period. Exactly which maker, I'm not totally sure. I was leaning toward Elkington because of the shield shaped maker's mark, but need to look a bit further.

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

Thanks for your help :)

11. Bakersgma

Not Elkington. What we need to figure out is what it says on the upper line within the shield. The bottom line is "& Co." The first letter is pretty squashed - second looks like an M or W or H or N - something with multiple upright strokes.

The Gothic letters to the right and below the shield seem to both be Gs. But they don't seem to be the same as what's inside the shield. The S on the right, probably (IMHO) stands for Sheffield.

12. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

I can't really get a better picture as it's in such an awkward place! Do you think it would help see it better if I had it cleaned?

13. Bakersgma

I don't think cleaning will improve seeing what's there. Like you said - an awkward location - plus some wear. If you can look at the shield with a loupe or magnifier and get a better idea of what the letters are, that would really help.

Best I can do at the moment, based on what I *think* I see, is Henry Wilkinson and Co. But no promises - this is a total WAG.

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAWILKINSON.html

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  14. Laurenw187

Laurenw187 New Member

Thanks very much, will maybe take it to someone who has better equipment more suited to this! Thanks for all your help!

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece Lauren!
    Welcome to the antiquer's forum:)
    bakers you have good eyes - I couldn't make out any letters in the shield!

16. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's nice, but I agree. Silverplate and not Georgian.

If it was a REAL solid sterling Georgian teapot, then I'm sure it'd be worth a good few hundred bucks (if not a couple of thousand!), but as it is, it does make a nice decorative piece, nonetheless.

17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lovely pot! Baker nailed it with Henry Wilkinson & Co. The 4 letters around the markings are the Gothic letters "EPNS" - E on left, P at the top, N at the bottom, and S to the right - Electro-Plate Nickel Silver. As the shield mark only has Co. and not Ltd., this pot dates c1830s to 1872. In 1872 Ltd. was added to their marks. About a 1/4th of the way down the page/link Baker gave is a chronology listing if the company's names.

--- Susan

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Kettle rather than pot...

~Cheryl

20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It really is a pretty piece. Amazing that you could see that Bakers & Cheryl.

Draft saved Draft deleted