Silver Teapot - Hallmark(s) ID help - is it plated or the real dealio?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by aaroncab, Jul 8, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Been eyeing this the last couple times I went into a local thrift. They have a $20 price tag on it but the marks are stumping me. Nothing jumps out as a sterling mark but I've pretty much been unable to decipher what's there - the fact that they're worn down doesn't help either. Can anyone make anything of this? Worth the 20? I like the style and obviously if it's not plated I'd snatch it up for the 20.

~

35630720282_b40ee4d7e4_k.jpg 35630723602_a199510a83_k.jpg 35411523380_bc28647028_k.jpg 34990179933_84d6b82f6d_k.jpg 34990178863_89d03b44bd_k.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a very similar one with that shell type finial and mine is Birmingham plate.

aaroncab likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Plated.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. aaroncab

Thank you Bev!

5. aaroncab

Thank you Gma :)

6. Bakersgma

7. aaroncab

8. Bakersgma

Were you looking in the "Pictorial" section of silverplate marks? Or just in the British Marks section?

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They seem to be going for about 30 pounds in the UK. Mine has lost so much plate, I didn't bother to list it.

aaroncab likes this.
  10. aaroncab

Started in the British marks section - which I believe is all for Sterling. Then I started browsing alphabetically through the plate section but you're right, if I had clicked on the pictorial marks link I would have seen it right off.

11. Bakersgma

When you have such a large "pictorial" symbol, it's much easier to go to the pictorial subsection first. The rest of it is meaningless, anyway.

aaroncab likes this.
  12. aaroncab

Thanks Bev, poking around on Ebay I'm seeing similar ones going for 20 or 30$ US.

13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

such a nice design (reminds me of a tea caddie at Mt. Vernon) that if it didn't have any plate wear or too many disastrous dents (and I had $20), I would probably have purchased it anyway.................

but then, I have "a thing" for tea pots............and coffee pots............and milk jugs.....and sugar bowls...........and trays......and bowls.......and platters.....and nappies...........and covered dishes.........and water pitchers............and.............

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

PLate, indeed, in the Georgian style with ivory inserts to protect the handle from heat. I'd pay no more than $10 equivalent.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted