Silver pocket mirror what causes two tone?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by AntiqueBytes, Nov 3, 2020.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

silverpocketmirror1.jpg silverpocketmirror2.jpg I brought this back after it had a fair amount of tarnish. I notice there seems to be a brass/gold tone making some highlights? Is that just the silver or is it something else?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2021
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its the silver plating wearing off. Ive got 2 of those floating around here somewhere.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting steel drum band image!

4. AntiqueBytes

It was a photo from a while back. I'll have to find it and check if that is because of wear.

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes, kinda like the older Rayo and Aladdin lamps I restore - Brass plated with nickel. I don't really know how to tell the difference between silver plating or nickel plating on mirrors though........

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. AntiqueBytes

Anyone know the dollar value on something like this? I know one seldom gets answered on that question, since we are all above it, lol.

7. AntiqueBytes

But does nickel really tarnish that much? Old nickels are darker but they don't turn blackish like silver does (except silver nickels around 1942).

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's just that there are so many variables.....that's the main reason we're not a site to get even fair market values....

finding any recent sales of your item, is one way to zero in on a price......but even that is no certainty..!;);):happy:

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  9. AntiqueBytes

It looks like this might be a Hans Jensen (Denmark) pocket mirror/purse hand beveled round, silver plated.

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its not tarnish its wear, the plating be it silver or nickel has worn off .

The silver Nickels you mention 1942-45 (commonly called War Nickels) were only 35% silver, 56% copper and 9% manganese.
    No nickel in them.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted