Silver-Plate on Repousse Nickel-Silver Flagon, Unmarked: Age & Origin, Please?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Aug 15, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

As the bottom rim shows, it's been dropped a few times; there are other minor bumps as well. Virtually all silver is worn away, except within the foot, probably by asiduous polishing over the years. The engraving within the front cartouche reads:
    Presented to
    Duncan Kennedy
    from
    I. Dill M.D.

in an elegant script. The handle is ornate, in keeping with the balance of this cup's design. The interior shows a couple of seams; one circular at the bottom, an' another vertical seam behind the handle. I wonder about how the repousse was accomplished on such a shape, an' given the quality of the overall piece, why there is no indication of the smith's name, or location. I've done no research on either name from the inscription; I'm not even certain about the first initial of Dr. Dill's name, but it looks like it might be an 'I', so that's what I've called it.
    There is no maker's or artisan's mark on the bottom nor elsewhere, that I can find. It's ~5 1/8" high, ~3" diameter at the upper rim, ~3 3/8" at the foot rim; weight is almost 14 ounces, an' its capacity is a full pint.

From what you can see, can an era, an' perhaps a location of origin, be inferred? Any other wisdom an' comments are sought, an' welcomed...Thanks for lookin!

P1420315.jpeg P1420317.jpeg P1420318.jpeg P1420322.jpeg P1420323.jpeg P1420324.jpeg P1420320.jpeg P1420321.jpeg P1420319.jpeg P1420316.jpeg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Did a little searching just now on the names, but came up with nothing. There are or were too many people named Duncan Kennedy, and not knowing the first name of the doctor is a hindrance. Sorry, I tried! Maybe somebody else can come up with some clues.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Thank you, Fig, for your efforts.
    I agree, not really enough unique information to build much of a case on.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true...

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  5. wlwhittier

Was that...could it be...Danny Kaye?

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yes it was :smuggrin:

wlwhittier likes this.