Silver plate cup - Is the band along the bottom a language?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by dgbjwc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I recently acquired this silver plate cup. It stands about 3 7/8" tall. I thought the ring along the bottom was decorative but there doesn't appear to be any symmetry to the design and now I'm thinking it might be a language. No other marks. Does anyone recognize it? Thank you for whatever help you can provide.
    Don

IMG_20180627_211733066.jpg IMG_20180627_211814672.jpg IMG_20180627_211749073.jpg IMG_20180627_211756112.jpg IMG_20180627_211803982.jpg IMG_20180627_211809168.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Can you read what is engraved on the cup?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I really need to improve my inspection abilities. I didn't even realize it was engraved! As best I can make it out it says: Gary (undecipherable) on the first line, Bar Mitzvah on the second line, and 9-17-65 on the third line. I guess that answers my original question. I would like to self nominate for the silliest identification request of the month. Thank you!
    Don

Bakersgma, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so , ya...it's a kiddush cup...and I'm surprised you're calling it plated....
    these are supposed to be sterling...!!

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't think sterling - you can see the brass coming through where the plating has worn away and there's no sterling mark. Perhaps Gary's was sterling and this was a commemorative given to guests? I'll polish it up just to be sure.
    Don

judy, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

perhaps...but these were very personal and i've never heard of them given out as swag...

judy, Fid and Bronwen like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Another theory. Could it be a salesman's sample perhaps? I gave it a light polish and the brass tones are still there. But the first line reads Gary's with no last name. I wouldn't think the honoree's name would be abbreviated that way if this were actually someone's cup. Might have made more sense for the sample to be plated?
    Don

judy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is it possible it is silver that was once gold washed?

Figtree3, judy, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cheryl! That looks like it! The cup you found is a little taller but the pattern looks very much the same. And it may have been a gold wash, Bronwen. Thank you.
    Don

kyratango and judy like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's probably plated; this sort of thing is most often Israeli, and they mark the holy heebie jeebies out of their silver. I'm seeing what looks like copper coming through the silver, and copper is another traditional metal to use if you're Israeli.

kyratango and judy like this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, evelyb. I think that matches what I'm seeing.

Would I be out of line donating it to Goodwill? I don't want show disrespect. With only a first name I really don't have much hope in finding the owner or his family.
    Don

kyratango likes this.
  13. komokwa

No.....but I'd donate it to a Temple...or Jewish Sisterhood.....for their sale.

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, komo. We do have a temple here in town. I'll contact them.
    Don

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I used to hit three synagogue sales every summer, but two of them closed down.(sigh) This (more or less) gentile has been known to scarf up any interesting judaica; if I'm not giving it away to interested parties, it sells well on Ebay. A friend who's a rabbi generally gets anything old and most of the glass.

kyratango and dgbjwc like this.