Silver Over Copper Marked Vase

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kraftblue, Jan 1, 2021.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Neat vase I picked up at an estate sale. 12" tall and has a grape motif. The edges have copper showing thru. Not familiar with the mark on bottom.

vase1.JPG vase2.JPG vase3.JPG vase4.JPG vase5.JPG

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You might check Sheffield plate marks. I saw two others by different makers that we’re Sheffield.

3. kraftblue

Thanks I need!

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

I’ve moved this thread from metalware. Maybe Silver folks will know the marks.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The holes on the bottom (look like they're for screws?) bother me. I sincerely doubt that this is Sheffield Plate. If it was SP that was wearing, you wouldn't just see the copper layer appearing at the corners. The silver layer would be more likely to be detaching from the copper layer. And SP makers did not ordinarily use multiple "devices" in their marks.

I did find a single "unknown maker" example with the heart shape mark, but not the others with it.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

7. kraftblue

Thanks I Need. I did see those when I was searching. This might be a tough one.

i need help likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Alright - This is one is by Lawrence B. Smith of Boston. Nothing at all to do with Sheffield Plate. and other by Revere (not Paul!) Silver, also of Boston and both 20th century. Why these sellers are implying that they were either Sheffield Plate or made made in Sheffield England is beyond me. I'm afraid you're stuck with "unknown maker" likely US, 20th century, silver plated.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    bercrystal and i need help like this.
  9. kraftblue

Thanks you Bakersgma!

Draft saved Draft deleted