Featured Silver or not? Indian round box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 16, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I just bought this round box solely for the very well executed chasing of the decoration. I didn't pay a lot and I don't mind if it's brass, silver or silver plate. I have no experience with metal ware so any thoughts on any of it would be hugely welcomed. The size is 18cm wide by 7cm high s-l1600 (90).jpg s-l1600 (91).jpg s-l1600 (92).jpg s-l500 (4).jpg s-l1600 (93).jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, and I remember seeing these, but can't remember when. Probably a paan (betel) box.
    It doesn't look like silver, and I don't think they were made in silver, but let's wait for the others.:)

3. 808 raver

The design on the front (pot with tree and birds) reminds me of a Goa/Portuguese 18th/19th box design. Is that enamel? paint? or lac? on the design? I have tried looking it up, I only paid £15 including PP so it really was a punt. If you remember the School of Art Jaypour table I bought, that was only going by the workmanship, this has the same feel but the photos I posted aren't good enough to really zoom in like I can on ebay.

4. 808 raver

The listing says "white metal"

5. Any Jewelry

That is the 'Puranakumbha' motif, a symbol of prosperity and fertility. It is seen throughout the Subcontinent. I think your box is northern, maybe even Pakistani, but I could be wrong.
    The dark colour is often a natural resin mixed with 'stuff'.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. 808 raver

It's strange you saying this is a "Purana kumbha' motif" I'm not disagreeing with you because I just don't know but it does bring up a question, I have this box and I always wondered where it came from until I found this worthpoint listing for a box too close to mine for it to be made anywhere else, they say it's from South America but mine clearly has a Purana kumbha motif on it and if that is Asian then the worthpoint must be wrong and it's not made in South America?
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unicorn-mother-mary-antique-coca-tea-169076633 119724340_781686452666330_6943703967801979118_n (1).jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. 808 raver

9. Any Jewelry

Most regions of Europe have the same motif, which is how it was introduced to South America.;) As always, the devil is in the detail.

808 raver likes this.
  10. 808 raver

11. 808 raver

12. 808 raver

13. 808 raver

14. 808 raver

15. 808 raver

With all of these pieces that clearly have been made in the same place or by the same people I still can't find a name or term to look them up for dating or pricing. The box I bought took 12 days in the post :( but now it's here I'm even more impressed with it' it weighs around 1.5kg and the workmanship is very close, so much so I bought another piece, a tray s-l1600 - 2024-06-01T100631.400.jpg

16. Any Jewelry

You've started a new collection.:playful: The tray is stunning.:happy:

808 raver likes this.
  17. 808 raver

If I could only just find out what the name of this wear is called I'm sure I'd be on to a winner, every place I've found this distinctive wear comes from they don't seem to know what it's called, it isn't bidriwear, the process seems to be chased copper, blackening and a thin tinning whereas Bidri is a white alloy that's chased and silver let in followed by blackening. I'm stumped :(

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. 808 raver

19. Any Jewelry

Yes, I also come across Tarkashi, Bidri and just about anything else. The supposed regions of origin all vary too.

808 raver likes this.
  20. 808 raver

When a piece is in your hand you can really appreciate the work and fine detail that goes into this wear, it's far better than the normal (and even good) brass/copper work that comes from that part of the world (I don't know what part that is lol) The heft of the pieces is also amazing, it must have cost a fortune in copper alone and seeing as I'm paying £15 for the box and £24 for the tray (just over scrap price) I can't believe these were made in the last 80 years.
    It's far too good to not have a name, it must be some sort of wear but I just can't find a name I can type in and all I get is pieces like mine, it's infuriating :(

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted