Silver on copper neo classical plate

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Chinoiserie, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I think this is silver plate on copper. I have done some searching and there are a few results for Elkington However there don't seem to be any marks or a signature. It's about 20cm fat.

IMG_20240305_171915_copy_927x1237.jpg IMG20240305170437_copy_1331x998.jpg

Bronwen and charlie cheswick like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pretty hilarious from a mythological point of view. Wondering if there's not a painting behind it. Still can't figure out which legs & feet seen below Athena/Minerva's robe go with whom. Aphrodite/Venus is behind her.

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

good weight to it ?

looks a nice quality from here

would think it would have some kind of mark if english

theres quite a few similar in tazza form, which french attributions

good piece i reckon ;)

Chinoiserie and Bronwen like this.
  4. charlie cheswick

in relief ?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. charlie cheswick

6. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

That looks almost like something AI generated. Very odd symbolism, angel falling from heaven, instruments, odd fill-in pieces, very odd three feet, statue of David…

The details don’t match the one Charlie found. ( Look at the Mercury’s stave and odd ball on the right side of the bowl, for instance.)

Edit. Maybe the odd coppery ball on the right side of the plate, in the woman’s hand, is actually a mark. It seems to have a date in it? I can’t enlarge it enough to see.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    charlie cheswick and Bronwen like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

It's a bit rude on closer inspection. There are two pairs of legs under the robe. Looking at the position of the big toes, the first two legs on the left belong to the male figure on the left. There is then a toe protruding from his left leg which is another left leg and the last leg is the right leg of the female.

IMG20240305192758_copy_913x1218.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Finnclouds and Bronwen like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Erm it's just a photo of a metal plate. Not sure where AI comes into it.

9. Chinoiserie

It's quite solid. I don't think it's solid silver but it polished just like it. It's quite a common scene by the looks of it. I've looked everywhere and can't see anything that resembles a mark.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Close up of ball on the right. Just a trick of the light I think..

IMG20240305192726_copy_957x1276.jpg

11. Bronwen

I think the falling angel is a perspective thing, meant to be Nike/Victoria descending with a laurel wreath. Rather than David, think the headless sculpture is the Apollo Belvedere. At about 7 o'clock you've got the scallop shell Aphrodite rode in on. I can't make out what some of the other odds & ends are that are lying around. I see a boar's head near the man who is reading a totally anachronistic book. I think we are meant to see him as being in the present, perhaps reading classical mythology. There's a very modern viol at 4 o'clock.

Clustered behind him seems to be an assortment of Muses/allegorical figures. Euterpe with a flute; Urania with a globe & astronomical/navigational tool. (Can't figure out what the other globe-like thing in the background is.) The staff of Hermes/Mercury is in the hand of a woman, so I think it is the usual confusion of that staff, with its wings & 2 twined ribbons, & the staff of the physician Asklepios, with its single snake & no wings. I think she represents Medicine.

12. Bronwen

It's not rude at all. Got them sorted from closeup. Left to right are Athena's right foot, Athena's left foot, Aphrodite's left foot, Aphrodite's right foot. There is no man there.

13. Chinoiserie

You certainly know your greek mythology. Thanks for the references.

Finnclouds and Bronwen like this.
  14. Chinoiserie

Sorry the figure on the left looked male to me which confused things a little. I was referring to the shenanigans next to the viol when I said it's a bit rude. Looks like he is getting very intimate with another character, or it might be a just the perspective.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

If you mean Urania's posture, it is rather strange. I thought she looked like sitting on the viol, but now you mention... She seems caught half way to this:

Urania mine 1A.jpg

Finnclouds likes this.
  16. Chinoiserie

The guy with the naked derriere. Maybe I have a dirty mind :eek:

IMG20240305195630_copy_1021x1361.jpg

charlie cheswick and Finnclouds like this.
  17. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Thanks for the closeups! AI has a way of adding extremities and digits to human hands so the three feet reminded me of that. Some parts look coppery in the photos so if that’s not a photo artefact, it’s silverplated copper.

18. Chinoiserie

I wouldn't upload edited photos to here and pass them off as real. Seems like a disingenuous thing to do.

19. Bronwen

The figure is female, the Muse Urania, as is the cameo, or the Personification of Astronomy, if you like.

20. Chinoiserie

Okay. Sorry to corrupt the subject matter. :rolleyes:

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted