Silver hallmark identification

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Laura Ivermee, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

IMG_20211028_205803.jpg IMG_20211028_205749.jpg IMG_20211028_205741.jpg received_2965416240422693_2.jpeg Please can anyone help me to decipher this hallmark on a bangle. The bangle is the one on the left in the photo, and has a gold coating which is wearing off in places. The paper has a drawing of the markings, (and my friends frustration as we try to decipher them)
    I gather it is 83% silver, and European in origin, but have drawn a blank from there.
    Any help would be much appreciated thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is the marking star 898 VI surrounded by a cartouche with pointy ends?

judy and Laura Ivermee like this.
  3. Bakersgma

And are you sure that the first thing you posted in 83S versus 835?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    judy and Laura Ivermee like this.
  4. Bakersgma

It is likely (even without getting your answers to the 2 questions) that the marking is Italian from some time 1968 or more current. The fineness is 835 (not 83S) and the rest of the marking tells us that the item was made in Vincenza (VI) by a maker whose assigned number was or is 898. Unfortunately the list of silversmith numbers currently online does not extend that high (currently up to the 600s.)

See this section of the 925-1000 site for more information. https://www.925-1000.com/Fitalian_marks_01.html

5. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

Thank you so much, that is a big help. I have uploaded new photo's, but the hallmark is very difficult to get :)

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gold plated on silver ???
    or 19 karat gold ??

"has a gold coating which is wearing off in places."

Laura Ivermee and judy like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    needs proper testing before selling. at the moment the surface looks like autostrada gold.

9. Bakersgma

What exactly is "autostrada gold?"

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

highway gold sold at gas stations and shops to tourists from Sicily up to the Swiss border with other "goodies" like red wine with Mussolini on the label or statuettes of him...
    I wonder when the Germans start to sell Adolf-Bier along the Autobahn...

11. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

I will definitely test :) I have never heard of Autustrada gold, so very interesting, thank you

12. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

I will be testing, so definitely not sure yet, assumed gold plated but need to play more before I am certain :)

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

bullions stamped with Crédit Suisse were also a runner for the alpine yokels.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: we once showed it to one what he really bought on a parking lot by bending and breaking one after he scratched a bit on the surface to show he wasn't to be cheated. poor guy had a bit of Italian sand in his hand...
    same with high priced "Nikon" cameras newly on the market. surprisesurprise at home when they opened the camera to fit a film roll in...
    today it's Romanians with "real" gold rings that try to cheat you by whining about their broken credit cards and offer gold rings to help them out...

Laura Ivermee likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the ring my neighbors brought back from the Caribbean, bought as gold and diamonds for a song. I told them "if it's too good to be true, walk away". I tested the diamonds - glass, I didn't bother to test the metal ;)

Laura Ivermee and Fid like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

problem with the newer stuff - they got original punches...

16. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had some silver rings marked sterling in a box lot. Knew they werent because poor workmanship. Googled sterling china and a company came up came up called Sterling.

Draft saved Draft deleted