Silver forks, I think Austrian

Discussion in 'Silver' started by say_it_slowly, May 18, 2016.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have two forks that I believe I've decided are Austrian, from 1867-72, and .750. At least that's what I'm thinking. I can't really decide on what the name stamped on it says. I haven't even started to look for the crest/coat of arms. (bird wing with an arrow, crown, shield, horseshoe?, cross, axes?)

Each fork is good size and heavy measuring about 8 ¾" and weighing about 70 grams. They have the same crest but in different sizes. The name on each is the same but neither is 100% readable and I haven't found anything googling with the spellings I've come up with,W. GLIXELLE, GLIXEILD?. Each has a head in a pentagon shape with a small 4 which I how I got to the date and the fineness. Not 100% sure of anything though.

So does anyone have a name for the maker or any corrections to where I am? I imagine the crest is probably a pipe dream.:) Thanks:)
    2.jpg 3 head.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    yourturntoloveit and tyeldom3 like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

tyeldom3 and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The Diana-head dating is 1872-1922, .750 fineness is correct, looks like a 'K' for Klagenfurt(?) - I read the maker's name as 'W.GLIXELLI'...

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

Darn, on my phone, really not sure which city-letter is on the right, thought it was 'K', which fit in for Krakow based on the coat of arms found by s_i_s - but a quick check found 'K' wasn't for Krakow. Maybe it is the Krakow 'E'...

http://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I went and took a few more photos and looked as closely as I could with my loupe and I think it is an "E". So Krakow it would seem!

This is what confused me about the dating of the mark. I can't tell the difference comparing them to mine.

upload_2016-5-18_17-38-59.png View attachment 39319 10.jpg

DragonflyWink and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

DragonflyWink likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

Definitely an 'E', which fits everything else - at least my eyesight isn't completely shot, got the maker (nice find on his full name and dates). And sorry, should have been more clear, the cities where Austro-hungarian assays were done weren't noted in the Diana-head until 1872, hence the later dating...

~Cheryl

8. say_it_slowly

Oh that makes so much sense now that you say it:) The city is missing in first example photo and I couldn't make out much difference in the heads

So I guess these date between 1872 and 1895 when he died.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

You know what I realize....I somehow failed to say thank you :( SO Thank You!:)

10. DragonflyWink

Hehe, thanks for the 'Thank you' - but I took the 'Yeah Cheryl!' as a wonderful kinda 'Attagirl!', and it was much appreciated...

~Cheryl

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted