Silver dish

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Beata, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Beata

Beata Member

20210707_112453.jpg 20210707_112427.jpg 20210707_125852.jpg Hi I have a dish with lid and handle , looks like silver not silver pleated. There is a winged lion carved on the top and some markings on the side. There is silver crumb sweeper inside with the same markings and logo SHIEFFIELD REPRODUCTION. Please take a look at the photos. Thank you for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2021
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Those are sliver plate marks. If it is a genuine reproduction of 'old Sheffield plate', the silver is rolled onto the copper in sheet form, so is much thicker than EPNS.

3. Beata

Beata Member

Thank you. How can I value that?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Compare actual sales only to others that are silverplated. But this is a tough sell. Old fashioned item that no one wants to have to polish.

komokwa, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly this is called a "silent butler' or a "crumb tray". I think they originally came with a brush and a person could brush crumbs off of a table into this lidded pan, empty ashtrays into it, etc.
    Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.:happy:

DragonflyWink and Bronwen like this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The maker was Forbes Silver Co Meriden Conn

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

20th century US made "Sheffield Reproductions" are not (and were not) made in the rolled metal manner of the original "Sheffield Plate."

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

So they are telling fibs with the mark too - as bad as the Chinese lol!

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, those marks are just the company's trademark, certainly less 'fibs' than the electroplate pseudo-marks used British manufacturers, since the U.S. has no actual hallmarks. There were numerous 'deceptive marketing' complaints regarding the American silverplate manufacturers use of 'Sheffield Reproduction' from the early 20th century and well past mid century, since items marked as such were not made Sheffield, nor were they fused plate, most often not on copper, or sometimes not even in the style of Old Sheffield Plate - but they continued to be produced and advertised...

~Cheryl

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted