Silver carving set

Discussion in 'Silver' started by verybrad, Jan 8, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This carving set is only marked 2nd on the handle and stainless steel on the knife blade. I assume this means they are second quality rejects? I can see no obvious flaws to them. I found a couple examples very similar but not exact that are marked sterling handle so I assume mine are also sterling. Are my assumptions correct? Any idea of maker or pattern? Would the guards also be sterling if the handles are? The guards are not magnetic.
    stuff1180.jpg

stuff1180b.jpg

stuff1180a.jpg

A different pair from ebay completed listings. Marked sterling handle. Note the difference in the pattern.

[​IMG]

Here is the link to another similar pair listed on ebay with even better pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STERLING-SI...309986?hash=item3aafd89562:g:iWMAAOSwqu9VRrVU

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Haven't any luck on this pattern/maker yet. The pattern seems to have a Scandinavian flair, flavor, to me. Not necessarily made in that corner of the world, but a Scandinavian type pattern made by an American company like "Royal Danish" by International.

--- Susan

KingofThings and gregsglass like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oneida. "Forever" pattern 1939. I know this off the top of my head because this is the pattern I gave to my son and his (now ex) wife several years ago. A full set - silverplated. I didn't think they had made this in sterling, but I suppose they might have.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/OHSFOR.htm

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Other than that ebay listing showing a "sterling handle" mark, I haven't found any evidence that Oneida made this pattern in anything but silver plate. Very strange.

5. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Questions, please.
    1. I have always thought that a company will have similar, but not exact, design in both sterling and silver plate with different names. Never the same name.
    2. Brad, even though yours might be seconds. wouldn't they still be marked sterling.

The two eBay listings and Brad's set are different designs. But GMAs Replacement's pics seem identical to Brads.

I'm asking because, for several years I have been told by many, many dealers. shop owners, that the young buyers DO NOT WANT sterling or silver plate because they don't want to bother polishing them. So I did keep the family sterling, and sold a small ton :confused: of stainless on eBay. I did put two silver plate sets, in cases, in one of my antique shop cases 6 years ago. One sold in seven months and the other last October.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  6. Bakersgma

TOG - I'm not sure I would go so far as to say "never" in answer to your first question. If a patent of the design is involved, any change in the design would logically require a different name but only if the first patent is still in force. I suppose that working in different materials might cause the manufacturer to give different names to distinguish between them, but not necessarily. For instance, Oneida made Grand Majesty in both sterling and stainless - they sure look like the same design to me.

On question 2, I agree that even seconds of sterling production should be marked as such.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like the difference in the pattern might be the difference between plate and sterling. I found a couple like mine listed as Oneida Forever silverplate so I think the mystery is solved. Neither of the listings showed a mark but I think mine have to be plate as well. I also agree that even if they were seconds, that they would still likely be marked sterling if they were. I was most puzzled about the lack of additional marks.

8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks, GMA. That sounds reasonable, especially never say never.
    (That was Sean Connery, right? :) )

Surprised though, that Oneida made a pattern in both sterling and stainless. I have the stainless flatware 800 page guide and it's not in there. Prolific on the web, though. They certainly are the same design.

I've presumed that many, if not most, of the knives and similar serving pieces don't have enough room for stamping.

Draft saved Draft deleted