Silver boho circle earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering about a random pair of earrings I dug up- I bought these earrings at a goodwill for a dollar probably 10 years ago. At the time I didn't have an eye for nice jewelry, I was more in the habit of amassing modern fashion dangle earrings. Most of my junk earrings have been thrown out over the years since I start collecting vintage things but I kept these- they are unmarked but definitely feel/look like silver to me. Kind of aztec inspired in style? Anyone have any idea where they might come from?
    They are unfortunately unwearable because they are heavy! 10g per earring!! most of the earrings I wear are 2g per earring max! I don't even know how someone could stand to wear an earring so heavy!!
    earring.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the back? How big are they?
    Patd

Kimbert, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it was something else before someone soldered the jump ring onto it and flooded the top portion with solder.

judy, Kimbert and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely earrings, but I can't see anything Aztec.
    Ethnic, but for export or as souvenir. A good buy for $1.

judy and Kimbert like this.
  5. Kimbert

they are 4cm diameter- pretty large. the backs are very unattractive and rough looking earringback.jpg

that would make sense- I cant imagine the original maker expressly making something so heavy as earrings, (they are seriously painful to wear!) Wonder what they were for originally and if not for earrings why they had two? One would make a nice pendant
    I thought aztec in some very vaguely inspired way, I was having trouble pinpointing what they remind me of, but it's probably not that then!
    Yes, they are not great quality, more souvenir type quality. I agree though, a nice hunk of pretty silver for 1$! I don't think the lighting in my picture captured it well, but after polishing they really gleam like silver!

Guess it's useless that I can't wear them, but oh well!

kyratango and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I didn't say anything about the quality.;)
    I am used to ethnic jewellery, and in this case there is not much difference in quality between the jewellery they would have made for themselves and for the tourist trade.

Souvenir doesn't necessarily mean bad quality, by the way. It just means it is made so visitors will have a tangible memory of their stay in a place that is foreign to them. The level of quality is up to the maker, and even more importantly, up to the visitor's willingness to buy good or bad quality.

This is also a souvenir, but of astounding quality, an antique micro-mosaic set in malachite, onyx and 18k gold:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/bro...n-city-micro-mosaic-pin-pendant/id-j_2063883/

7. Kimbert

I'm sorry, I should not be so quick to dismiss "souvenir" as bad quality! you are right, I was used to hearing souvenir thrown around to describe trinket tourist trap items, but it's absolutely true that souvenir can mean anything of any quality that you buy somewhere you've visited and should not have negative connotation! I was just acknowledging that these earrings are a bit rough around the edges (mostly looking at the backs of them), but I do not consider them "junk" jewelry by any means, they are quite nice and I think real silver too =)
    the malachite mosaic you posted is gorgeous!

Bronwen, kyratango, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The hole was punched out and the marks on the back are from the front designs being stamped while on a piece of wood,etc. I have seen pieces like yours someplace, they were sewn onto the front of dresses.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,
    That pin is dead dead GORGEOUS!!!!!!
    greg

10. Any Jewelry

It certainly is. Not mine though, the link is below the photo. Here is a full view:
    [​IMG]

11. Kimbert

very cool- thanks for this info!

i need help, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe you could find a way to include both in a necklace. Or, two separate necklaces with different style chains or cords?

i need help, Kimbert and Bronwen like this.
  13. Kimbert

I probably should do that, I really can't wear them as is! It would be pretty easy to take the earring part off, add a jump ring and stick it on a nice chain!

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You could suspend a jewel in the hole. :) Or not. :)

Figtree3 and Kimbert like this.
  15. Kimbert

I like this idea! would be fun to make a special piece out of them! ( or one of them)
    I've never altered or repurposed any jewelry before!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted