Featured silver. beaker or vase ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Fid, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

heisler1 (330x640).jpg
    heisler2 (544x640).jpg
    heisler3 (640x621).jpg
    heisler4.JPG

Carl Heisler of Mannheim. silvercollection.it mentions a link with Louis Wolfers.
    inside gilded, makes me think drinking vessel.
    style could be Jugendstil; 19 cm tall.
    or is it ecclesiastical ?
    all ideas welcome. TIA.

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I am of no help, but it's a handsome piece.

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Fid like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks pretty Jugendstil to me Fid. I'd go with that. Nice bit o' silver - has to be a vase though, dontch'a think? If it's a religious drinking vessel, it would have to be from some sort of hair shirt religious order as it looks to be a bit awkward and sharp around the mouth area with no rim and prone to sloshing.

edit: 19cm ...let me think how big that is again in old money ...7 inches. Ok I changed my mind. Beaker.

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Fid like this.
  4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

A nice piece, and very Art Nouveau in style. Its height & shape could suggest a cocktail-shaker (without its lid) perhaps, particularly as the inside is gilded?

KikoBlueEyes and Fid like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you all. for a shaker it's too thin IMO, too big a risk to get it warped. I know the name of the silversmith but can't place it at the moment. first thought was Mathildenhöhe in Darmstadt. enough time tomorrow looking into the books and listenng to the 16 cd box of Blue Öyster Cult that arrived at the same time.
    I have never seen a vase with a gilded inside ? perhaps during Flower Power ?:)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The gilding inside prevents corrosion on a salt. Maybe someone had the same idea on a vase?

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nah, it's a beaker. Germany has made beakers for centuries, it's a German tradition!

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted