Silhouettes of children but what are these really?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 31, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are two silhouettes of boys on some sort of tile or possibly a very hard plaster. What I think is that they are paper that was coated and mounted on the tile as one is a little loose on one side an seem to be pulling up. I'm not sure. They seem genuinely quite old with black ebonized looking outer frame and gilt over plaster(?) oval molding. They are 5" X 6¼.

What are these really? I'm guessing 19th C somethings.

2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

oops I think I may have found them, or like them. It looks like Borghese (or similar).

3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Oh God! Words no antique dealer ever wants to hear after paying for an item. "These are Borghese. The sticker fell off earlier." Been there! Borghese has gotten me into trouble before! :eek:

4. say_it_slowly

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Somebody 'splain Borghese pls-something new to me.

The square plaques look a bit like plywood, which wasn't something used before the 20th C. as far as I know. A look at the side of one of the pieces would tell.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

7. say_it_slowly

I found a guide written by Griff which actually gives some good info. I'd never heard of them before but they're pretty decorative. Learn something new every day:)

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Collecting-Borghese-Antiques-/10000000009343229/g.html

Here is a quick shot of the sides but even though the backs look wood grain like I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a very hard plaster or plaster like ceramic except for the images (since one edge has pulled up a bit I'm pretty sure those are paper).

9.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOW, I didn't know Borghese made so many different items ?

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OMG, I knew nothing about these guys but I have four or five 4" plaster frames with molded heads. I wonder if they are Borghese. I will have to dig them out.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted