Signed M. Montgomery oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Bought this the other day at Goodwill. I thought it was a very lovely piece. It's signed M. Montgomery in the lower left corner.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. Armando0831

I'm new at collecting paintings. Have you heard of this artist?

4. Armando0831

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

On AskArt.com they have 2 artist with the first initial M under Montgomery, Muriel and Maureen. Murial has a different signature, the other doesn't show any signature at all. Here is a link:

http://www.askart.com/askart/alpha/M36.aspx

6. Figtree3

I have not heard of the artist... but hope that somebody else can help. Mill Cove Treasures has found a possible lead, anyway.

7. Armando0831

Thank you for the search. I'll have to look that up soon. Hopefully something comes back positive.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's probably a copy of an 18th C English portrait, though I haven't been able to find a match.

9. Armando0831

I got a two for one deal on this painting. Out of curiosity, I carefully cut off the paper on the back to see the reverso. I was shocked to see another painting behind it. It's of a city street with buildings in bright colors. It also has the M. Montgomery signature on canvas. I don't know why the artist did this but it seems like they applied a board to the canvas for the front painting and kept the hidden painting to show of the reverse. I'll post pics later today after work.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This women has a modern face and bust. The signature is also modern. (Modern is anything younger than I am)

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Armando0831

It's surely modern but no idea of the artist. I'm still searching though.

12. Armando0831

image.jpg Here is the painting that I found on the reverse of the painting.

13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Why does the M. Montgomery signature appear upside down?

Is that simply a signed piece/remnant of canvas lying over the bottom of the street scene painting?

It looks like it is "infringing" (pun somewhat intended) on the bottom of the buildings.

14. Armando0831

By what I can see, it looks like it's one solid piece of canvas that goes around to back of the painting of the buildings. The painting of the lady on the front is on board. So, I'm assuming that the board was probably was probably placed on top of another painting, other than the buildings. It's a rather unique situation. I wish I could display both but I can't without damaging one of the paintings and I'm not doing that.

15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

No need to damage anything -- I was just trying to wrap my head around the artist's signature being on a "flap" of canvas after you said the street scene was signed by the same artist. ;)

16. Armando0831

Got it. Shall I say, I'm assuming then it's by the same artist.

17. Figtree3

A triple painting -- interesting!

18. Armando0831

image.jpg Upon looking further, this is a remnant of a piece of canvas that had the M. Montgomery name on it. The painting on the verso, does not have the signature on it. To me, it appears that it's possibly water in front of these buildings? I find the reverse painting far more superior than the front. The other pieces of canvas that are in the picture, are attached to the board in a way that I can't get them off with out possibly doing damage, and I'm surely not doing that.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  19. Armando0831

I've possibly tracked down Maureen Montgomery, in Maine. This Maureen has connections with an artist in Maine. It's a long shot.

20. Armando0831

I did find another lead. There's a Maureen Montgomery in Buffalo that graduated with BA in Arts from Canisius College, University of Paris. Her speciality in the medical field is Pediatrics. She is affiliated with the Women's and Children's Hospital in Buffalo. I don't know, but maybe there's a connection with the painting of a young lady and her profession. It would be cool to think that, if she is the artist, she probably did this painting after one of her patients. I'll have to see if there's anything in Buffalo that resembles the building scene on the verso.

Draft saved Draft deleted