Featured Signed Japanese Pottery Bowl with Modern Decorative Motif

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 30, 2024 at 5:19 PM.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

~4 7/8" diameter, ~2 7/8" high, weight is ~8.1 oz. The decorations appear to be applied...but the process escapes my understanding. They're overglaze, in green, red, lilac an' gold; nicely registered, without a hint of smearing...on a compound curved surface. The glaze is crazing, much more on the exterior than interior; I suppose it'll bleach out, with patience...but as I use the bowl quite a bit, I'll just have to do it again in awhile. The signature is impressed, but my guess is it'll be of the potter, not the decorator. Your help an' comments are most welcome, good folks...Thanks for lookin'!

P1410706.jpeg P1410707.jpeg P1410711.jpeg P1410709.jpeg P1410708.jpeg P1410710.jpeg

kentworld, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love this... and the newer one, too.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I have seen items with this symbol/decoration on it. It's a cool bowl and if you're using it, I wouldn't bother trying to clean the crazing -- shows honest use and is part of the history of the bowl. However, if selling, then you might clean it.

wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  5. wlwhittier

There's at least one on eBay with identical marks, with a different impressed signature; from Japan:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/394608402424
    Priced reasonably, with free shipping!
    I have another, with a different shape an' decor...but interestingly the same 4-color motif an' much finer, more uniform crazing. I'll get a few pics, post 'em here.

6. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

It looks like the 'crazing' is intentional and there are bowls like yours available on Amazon from Japan. LINK. LINK.

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

It seems I've got contemporary crockery here...I'm a bit surprised, but probably shouldn't be:
    P1410769.jpeg P1410770.jpeg P1410772.jpeg P1410771.jpeg P1410775.jpeg P1410773.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted