Featured Signed D & C Limoges France (?) pottery bowl / jardiniere

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What do you make of this piece? Signed D & C. It was a thrift purchase so no great expense.

It crossed my mind it might be a fake or a "second" if there is such a thing. The bottom stamp "France" is so blurry almost looks like one of the letters is wrong, and bowl has a tiny wobble when it sits.

Thought I'd get some more eyes on this.

Thanks.

v1.jpg v2.jpg v3.jpg v44.jpg v5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, that is lovely! And it certainly took a steady hand. The blank is real but I'm not sure the decoration was factory done. I suspect it's a hobbyist painted piece as I don't recall seeing anything with this type of decoration coming out of Bernardaud. They did sell white ware to the hobbyist trade and it's not double-marked. It looks sort of Egyptian revival to me. Please wait for other opinions as this is JMHO.
    Don

3. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I first read that word as "B R A ND S"!
    I like ancient Egyptian motifs, but I can't say I'm enamored of the colour choices or the look of that design, altho I like that shape.
    Is it a trick of light or is the white finish much glossier than the green?
    OK, that's two cents (or less!) worth from the peanut gallery.

Lucille.b, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming.

Tom, the blank is glossy, the white parts on the side are unpainted too so they are shiny (if that makes sense.)

Appreciate the extra eyes on this.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Yes, that does make sense.
    And I apologize for any lack of tact on my part.
    I just love ancient Egyptian art and I reacted poorly at first sight to the avocado skin colour and the motif, which, however carefully done, looks cartoonish to me.
    But I do realize that in the right setting, as an accent to the right decor, it would sit well.

6. Lucille.b

Purchased for resale, I appreciate all critiques.

James Conrad, judy and kyratango like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Interesting... :rolleyes:What is strange is Delinières & Co associated with Bernardaud in 1895, the firm was dissolved in 1900 and became Bernardaud & Co.
    So, the D&Co mark is before or 1900, the Egyptian decor on your piece don't fit, for me, in the style of this era:(
    Agree!

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, I had some difficulty with that too. I researched it a bit and came across an articled that gave a time-line on Egyptian revival. Apparently it started much earlier than I thought.
    https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/erev/hd_erev.htm

And, of course, the trouble with white ware is it can sit around forever before someone decides to paint. It's a shame it's not signed or dated - that would really help here.

I expect it will do well at auction. It's not a large piece that brings the really big bucks but still very interesting.
    Don

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's seriously cool; I even like the green. There have been fads for Egyptian motif stuff off and on since the Napoleonic era and maybe even before. I'm betting some decorator will snap that up.

Lucille.b, James Conrad and judy like this.
  10. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I agree that this is most likely a hobbyist decorated piece, but it is nicely done with a pleasing design.

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Me too!

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thank to all who took a look.

I appreciate the help with this! :)

James Conrad and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted