Signed Copper Bowl with Silver, Native American?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by NewEngland, Jul 30, 2023.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

copperbowlresized.jpg copperfloralbowlresizeda.jpg copperfloralbowlresizedsignature.jpg This is a handmade copper lid to a small turned wood bowl. It is stamped on the back 'AGNES' with a little bear image. The soldered-on bouquet looks like silver and there is a stone or shell flower in the bouquet. It's very unusual. I polished it lightly. It is 6" across and made of heavy copper. I wonder who "AGNES" might be and if she was a Native American woman. I haven't found anything online to help identify her. Thank you!

Boland, Figtree3, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow. Was not expecting that. It's beautiful. Can't help with the maker...but will look around. Can we see a photo of the whole thing complete with the wood base?

3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I don't think NA. More like Arts & Crafts style, 1910-1925.
    Women artists were flourishing at that time, assuming "Agnes" was a first name of the maker.
    The stone could be petrified wood, agate or jasper

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  4. NewEngland

The bowl's finish is chipping on the base. I'm not sure what type of wood it is.
    copperbowlresizedB.jpg copperbowlresizedC49.jpg copperbowlbottomresized23.jpg

5. Lucille.b

Looking at the whole thing, is there any chance these two didn't start out together? I know it looks like a perfect match fit-wise, but just seems odd to be to have these two different materials. Could be right as rain, just found myself wondering. The top is so pretty. Almost like a piece of jewelry!

NewEngland likes this.
  6. NewEngland

I know - the materials are so different. The rim of the copper top fits perfectly inside the wooden bowl, so it is likely that they started life together. The lid could also be displayed alone on a stand and look beautiful. I also wonder why Agnes used a bear symbol under her name....was her name Agnes Bear?

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

I was also thinking that lid would look great displayed on a stand. Hope you can find the maker, or just enjoy the piece as a mystery maker. Cool that it's signed.

Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.